我的決定

來源: 驗冰 2012-10-17 12:05:29 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5732 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 驗冰 ] 在 2012-10-17 12:15:57 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

A few weeks ago, after doing some extensive research about the career options, I narrowed my choices down to two: mental health counselor or school counselor.

I couldn't decide. I kept thinking how wonderful our family life would be if I could have 3 months off each summer. But on the other hand, I had a strong intuition that mental health counselor would be more suitable for me.

My hu*****and said:"Don't base your decision on the hours or summer schedules. Those are nice to have, but for something like this, you have to do what you believe is right."

I said:"But I feel so guilty, so insecure, I'm afraid that, if I take this huge risk and fail, you guys will be paying the price. I can't live with that." I couldn't go on, I felt like crying....

He held me in his arms and said:"It's ok to feel that way. I'd be concerned if you don't have any fear at all, like last year."

He went on:"Let's get real. You're trading a full time job to a full time school, your time with kids will be about the same. And if you sometimes have to work in the evening or the weekends, I'll be there for them and I can do everything even cooking, because they like simple stuff.

We've been working for 12 years, and saved for our retirement every year, skipping a few years is not a big deal.

I have a job that pays the bills, we will have less, but we'll always have a roof above our head and food on the table. No matter how the economy goes I'm confident that I can provide that, because I'm good at what I do. In fact I only do what I like to do, even though my interest and skills are not always aligned with where the $ is. You used to be so mad at me for that, because I refused to 'get out of my comfort zone', but I stuck to that, I wanted to be true to myself. That's exactly what gives me confidence now.

If for some reason I can't work anymore, we're covered with long term disability insurance that pays 100% of my salary.

If something happens to me, that's what life insurance is for.

I know that I didn't give my 100%, I was a bit lazy, I like to play computer games, I never had the drive that you have. Because I didn't see the point of working that hard. But now, for you and for the kids, you bet I will. Having a family with you, supporting your dreams, enjoying small pleasures in life, that's how I define my success.

So sweetheart, don't worry. Go for it."

It brought tears in my eyes, tears of gratitude and joy. I couldn't stop crying. 

For so many years, I used to treat him like how my dad treated me.

I called him names, I hated his "laziness", I was frustrated that he was "wasting" his talent, I wish I could drill some "ambition" in his head, I even secretly questioned my choice of marrying him, all because of my own insecurity and stupidity.

Now, when I'm facing the biggest challenge in my life, I'm completely humbled by his love, his wisdom, his courage. 

My dear friends, why am I sharing this intimate conversation with you?

Because no matter how certain you are right now about the definition of success that your loved one "should have", I beg you to keep your mind open, that one day in life, you might have to accept their own definition of success, and you might even accept it with such gratitude and humility, that you wish you had known it in all those years.

So here is my decision: I'll become a mental health counselor, I'm on my way. Wish me luck. 

With all my love,

驗冰

所有跟帖: 

Thank you! -驗冰- 給 驗冰 發送悄悄話 驗冰 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 12:43:56

哈哈,幸虧你沒嫁給我老公。。 -豬啊豬 - 給 豬啊豬  發送悄悄話 豬啊豬  的博客首頁 (116 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 12:34:17

That's really sad... -驗冰- 給 驗冰 發送悄悄話 驗冰 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 12:43:43

不SAD,一點都不SAD,你要是嫁了他,我現在就大齡剩女一枚。。 我不怪你的。。 -豬啊豬- 給 豬啊豬 發送悄悄話 豬啊豬 的博客首頁 (59 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 12:51:08

豬姐夫一定很委屈, 我這麽文縐縐的居然娶了豬啊豬,。。。。哈哈, 我的野蠻女友 -我邊走邊問- 給 我邊走邊問 發送悄悄話 我邊走邊問 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 16:42:16

Follow your dreams and best wishes!!!!! -volleyballfan- 給 volleyballfan 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 13:20:44

Bravo! Keep us posted. -風情萬種Tom娘- 給 風情萬種Tom娘 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 15:28:19

預祝你成功。我不常來職壇,所以不大了解你的故事。隻是想和你分享一下我的一些經曆。 -ZhuZhuXia- 給 ZhuZhuXia 發送悄悄話 ZhuZhuXia 的博客首頁 (701 bytes) () 10/17/2012 postreply 23:15:07

我朋友一個朋友,研究生讀的是心理學。他和我說,他的教授上課時告訴他們,不要把病人帶到床上。 -橘子口味- 給 橘子口味 發送悄悄話 (125 bytes) () 10/18/2012 postreply 18:45:23

有種感覺,你心情不是很好,但是又打算從事一個會讓你心情更不好的工作,擔心,雖然出發點是好的. -雪兒雪兒- 給 雪兒雪兒 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/18/2012 postreply 08:10:09

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”