Toastmaster - CC Manual - Project 2: Waiting

來源: 心想路得 2010-05-11 19:10:11 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (6622 bytes)
Delivery Date: June 27, 2007

CC Manual - Project 2: Organize your speech.

• Appropriate outline
  • Clear message and supporting material
  • Appropriate transitions
  • Strong opening and conclusion

Opening:

Story: waiting in CHEO

Waiting

In the last couple of weeks, I took my kids to Childrens hospital 3 times for different reasons. The first time we stayed from 1:00pm to 6:00pm. The doctor and nurse checked my son for at most 25 minutes. For the rest of time, we were waiting. We were constrained in a small room. There was only one story book, which is in French that I can not read. My 3 restless kids were so bored that they climbed up and down the furniture. I felt bored and angry for the whole afternoon wasted in hospital.

The next time we were in hospital for two hours, and the doctor saw my son for less than 10 minutes. While I was waiting, I rummaged my purse and found a survey form that I need to finish. It took me only 5 minutes to fill it out. I felt good that I did something meaningful. Then I began to look around and noticed most people waiting were sitting in their chairs bored, having nothing to do. Suddenly, a saying came into my mind. "Wasting time of ones own is a suicide. Wasting time of another people is a murder." This was said by a famous Chinese writer, Lu Xun. At that moment, I decided I am going to talk about "waiting" in this speech.

Body

Time is important.

You may not hear the saying, but you must all have heard this one "Time is life". There is no doubt that our life is comprised of time.

Lets think about such a scenario. In a hot day, someone brings you an ice cream. Its nice-looking and attempting. You can imagine how cool and delicious it is. Just as you are about to eat it, another person asked you to help him with something. After you come back to your ice cream, it completely melts. What is your reaction? Dont you feel sorry for not being able to enjoy the ice cream?

Have you ever feel sorry for the chunk of time you lost while waiting in hospital or at bus stop, or at passport office, or before your slow mainframe session?

What can we do about waiting? How can we take control back of our time and our life?

Try to avoid waiting.

First of all, we can avoid a lot of waiting by doing things differently.

Do you hate waiting in the long line at a bank teller? Take some time to setup online banking or tele-banking. From then on, at the beginning of each month, you only need to turn on your computer or make a phone call, and you can pay all of your bills of the last month within 5 minutes.

If you have kids, you must have the terrible experience waiting in emergency room of childrens hospital. Next time your kid has a fever of 39 degree Celsius in midnight, dont rush to hospital. Make a phone call to Ontario Tele-health. The nurse will give you some advice, and you may avoid waiting 4 or 5 hours during the night just by giving your kid some extra dose of Tylenol. Of course, always keep some Tylenol and Advil at home if you have kids.

Do you plan to go to States? Dont wait till the last moment to apply for your passport. You can mail in your application, and avoid waiting 3 hours at the passport office.

Consult a friend, check on website, or make some phone calls. You will be able to find more alternative solutions rather than waiting.

Reduce the loss by planning ahead

But still, there are a lot of situations we can not avoid waiting. What do we do? In that case, if you plan ahead, you will be able to use the chunk of time very well. Here are some of my suggestions.

Always keep a pen and some paper in your purse or pocket. With them, in a short period of time, you can make out a shopping list, a speech outline, or a to-do list. Or you can write down a short journal or some valuable thoughts passing your mind. You can even play a tic tac toe game to get some brain exercise.

If you know you will spend a long period of time waiting, take with you some magazines or books you never have time to finish. While you are waiting, feel free to enjoy them. If you have some forms to fill out, or some letters to write, take them with you, you will find plenty of time to do it.

If your kids will be with you, take some story books or games. The boring waiting time will become pleasure both for you and for your kid. If you didnt have a good talk for a while, this is a really good opportunity. Remember to tell your kid that you love him or her.

Conclusion

If you heard Sylvies last speech, you must still remember her grandmother. She always made good use of every available moment of her life.

Lu Xun, the writer I mentioned earlier, had another saying, Your time is like water in a sponge. The harder you pressed, the more your get. If you cherish your life, please treasure every moment of your life. Think carefully, and act smartly so as to make good use of your time. For time is life.

The third time I took my kid to the hospital, I got myself well prepared. I took several story books with us. As soon as we settled, I began to read those stories to my son. He likes it. We stayed around 2.5 hours there, and we really enjoyed it.

請閱讀更多我的博客文章>>>
  • 生肖與性格
  • 修成正果與因信稱義
  • 我的母親節
  • 再見,我的親人
  • 亞洲月之一: 中國傳統節日
  • 所有跟帖: 

great! I just joined the TM club and looking for the stuffs like -楓葉楓葉- 給 楓葉楓葉 發送悄悄話 (40 bytes) () 05/12/2010 postreply 14:38:10

回複:great! I just joined the TM club and looking for the stuffs l -心想路得- 給 心想路得 發送悄悄話 心想路得 的博客首頁 (420 bytes) () 05/13/2010 postreply 08:06:54

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
    請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
    選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
    選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”