The best job-hunt advice a friend ever gave me(ZT)

來源: 怪哉 2009-10-19 11:14:38 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2541 bytes)
Good Monday morning, 怪哉,

So it is with some hesitation that you pick up the phone, you dial the number, you're a little nervous and feeling a little awkward about calling your old friend (really more of an old acquaintance) in such a situation ... It's kind of embarrassing. ...

"Um, hey, Sally, it's 怪哉. Yeah. Well, I got cut in the most recent round of layoffs, and I was wondering if you knew of any jobs available out there. ..."

Well, Sally is going to be polite, but she is also going to try to get off the phone quicker than a balloon floating through the Denver sky (what was that all about, by the way? Bizarre!)

Why? Because we all hate to say "no." To a friend, to an acquaintance, to an old work colleague. It is as awkward to be asked as it is to ask.

What's the alternative?

Don't ask for a job, ask for a reference.

If instead you call up and say: "Hey, Sally. Yeah, I got cut in the most recent round of layoffs. And as I am looking for my next job, I sure would appreciate it if I could use you as a reference."

What's the difference between these two approaches?

One, you've let Sally know that you're looking for a job, but ...

Two, you've given her an easy way to do a good deed. It doesn't cost anything for her to say "yes," and now she feels like she's done her good deed for the day. You've actually made her day better!

Three, she might even feel a little bit honored that you want her to be a reference, which leads to ...

Four, she now feels a little bit invested in your success. Just a little bit, to be sure, but that's enough to get her creativity flowing – "you know, 怪哉 is pretty good and I wonder if there wouldn't be a fit with the guys over at National?"

Five, you've avoided the social awkwardness of forcing Sally to say no, and ...

Six, it doesn't cost you anything either, and the same approach can be useful with all of your contacts.

In every way, it is superior to ask for a reference, not a job.

I picked up this bit of advice from my friend John Lucht in his book "Rites of Passage," and it is the best tip I've heard in my years of helping $100k+ candidates get matched up with $100k+ jobs. So I hope you find it helpful as well!

OK, Readers, I hope you'll "refer" this newsletter to your friends who are looking for a job, and have a great and very productive week with your search!

I'll be rooting for you. ...

所有跟帖: 

Thanks for sharing. Brilliant idea! -veggiedoggie- 給 veggiedoggie 發送悄悄話 veggiedoggie 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 11:36:43

哈哈哈,你真勤快,還知道把自己的名字改了。 -豬啊豬- 給 豬啊豬 發送悄悄話 豬啊豬 的博客首頁 (92 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 14:37:23

回複:哈哈哈,你真勤快,還知道把自己的名字改了。 -怪哉- 給 怪哉 發送悄悄話 怪哉 的博客首頁 (34 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 14:52:49

寫得真實,寫出了人的內心感受,老畢非常喜歡,希望多 -安全環保處畢處長- 給 安全環保處畢處長 發送悄悄話 (27 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 16:19:47

謝謝分享 -轉戰- 給 轉戰 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 17:06:13

錯,絕大多數人在多數情況下被要求做reference會不舒服 -waitGC- 給 waitGC 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 17:28:56

為什麽? -轉戰- 給 轉戰 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 18:32:42

yes -世界無童話- 給 世界無童話 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/19/2009 postreply 20:08:16

錯,連你的幫助要求的不原意聽得人,會給你好的reference嗎? -waitGC- 給 waitGC 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/20/2009 postreply 04:55:49

Thanks for sharing -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/20/2009 postreply 09:06:46

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”