我的教訓

來源: 我說一句吧 2009-07-12 08:38:28 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2709 bytes)
I went through your posts and all the feedback, and realized that you were in a situation that I was in a few years. Obviously, you are very competent and also very ambitious. You are working hard and trying to be nice to the people around you, but some of your hard work and kindness will be taken advantage of if you are not careful. I learned this through a very bloody way and still struggling through these. Feel free to send me qiaoqiaohua, if feel that you are willing to share more details and want a tactful suggestion.

A few comments:
1) Work with your mentor carefully. Keep very good relationship with your current mentor. He is at a senior position, may help you in the future. It is good to be open to him so that he can help you better. However, if you want to work for him, you have to be very careful on what you want him to know. My strategy is to find yourself more than one mentors. Some mentors are in diffent circles and are truly mentor, some may act as your sponsor/poteintial boss.
2)Documenting all the time. Your mentor's suggestions on documenting is very important. I'm working for a big company too. In such a big corporation, documenting is very critical in case of something bad happen to protect yourself. We Chinese sometime feel that we need to save people's faces by taking an indirect way - which will put us in a disadvantageous position. If you don't trust him, document everything. Even it was verbal, you can recapture it and share with your boss as memo. He obviously knew that you were doing it. Then do it all the time. Otherwise, he might deny it later and blame you - you would not be able to provide proof. And he might even make this against you by making people feel that you were lying since you did the documenting on other things, why not this one?
3)State that you want a management position clearly and document it on your development plan. Even you don't say it, people know it - if not, why did you went to business school?! The trick here again is to document it, so that your boss has to give your some opportunities to stretch your skill sets. If he does not do it, you can go to the HR and the boss of the boss by providing the documentations that shows that your boss is not doing his job.
4) Remember: staying away won't solve it. However, you have to play with the right strategies.
5) If you do want to move on to a different position, start looking for it now - graduating with a MBA is a good execuse. Don't wait for too long. I was limited because of the green card process when I got my MBA. Now, several years later, I finally got my green card, it was not that useful.

Just my two cents.

所有跟帖: 

Well said. -jill08- 給 jill08 發送悄悄話 (76 bytes) () 07/12/2009 postreply 08:50:09

Excellent and to the point! -futurekey- 給 futurekey 發送悄悄話 (64 bytes) () 07/12/2009 postreply 11:30:00

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”