(PRN) Landmark Ruling Allows Lawsuit Against Toyota by Hilliard

來源: QuantPM 2014-03-20 08:36:04 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (22653 bytes)

(PRN) Landmark Ruling Allows Lawsuit Against Toyota by Hilliard Munoz Gonzales

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Landmark Ruling Allows Lawsuit Against Toyota by Hilliard Munoz Gonzales

2014-03-20 15:25:47.485 GMT

Landmark Ruling Allows Lawsuit Against Toyota by Hilliard Munoz Gonzales

PR Newswire

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas, March 20, 2014

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas, March 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Tuesday, March 18, a federal judge in Minnesota gave the green light for Hilliard Munoz Gonzales LLP to proceed with the lawsuit trial that may be the final chapter in bringing justice to Koua Fong Lee, who was wrongfully imprisoned for four years as a direct result of Toyota's unexpected acceleration problem that came to light in 2009.

Robert Hilliard, lead attorney at Hilliard Munoz Gonzales

VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER

In 2006, Koua Fong Lee's 1996 Toyota Camry suddenly sped up as he exited a highway in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Lee's Camry crashed into three other vehicles, instantly killing two people and rendering a six-year-old girl quadriplegic; she died the following year. Lee went to trial charged with vehicular manslaughter.

VINDICATION

Throughout his criminal trial, Lee maintained his innocence, insisting that his vehicle would not stop and that the brakes failed.  No one believed him until Toyota announced a massive recall, admitting that its vehicles could suddenly and unexpectedly accelerate.  Based on the new evidence, Texas attorney, Robert C. Hilliard, filed a Motion for New Trial for Lee, which was granted in 2011.  The prosecution declined to retry Lee, who was released from prison after serving four years.

Upon Lee's hard-won release, Hilliard said, "This is the crowning moment of my 30-year legal career, by a thousand fold. I couldn't imagine being locked up for four years away from my loved ones, for something I didn't do." 

LANDMARK RULING

Hilliard, on behalf of Lee and the other crash victims, filed a lawsuit against Toyota.  Attorneys for Toyota Motor Corp. filed motions to throw out the lawsuits, which were denied by the Minnesota judge in a landmark ruling on March 18, 2014.  The judge ruled that the Discovery Rule tolled the statute of limitations and that the parties could proceed with their products liability claims against Toyota.  The judge also ruled that the Lees were entitled to proceed with their claims against Toyota for negligent infliction of emotional distress.

"Going to trial against Toyota will bring this case full circle," stated Hilliard.  "Three years ago, Lee was a criminal defendant and then a prisoner, fighting to regain his freedom and redeem his life.  Now, he will have a chance to stand on the other side, and Toyota must defend itself.  Given the evidence, I don't believe this is something Toyota can do successfully."

ABOUT HMG

Hilliard Munoz Gonzales LLP (HMG) specializes in mass torts, personal injury, product liability, commercial and business litigation, and wrongful death. The firm has won approximately $100,000,000 in settlements and verdicts for its clients.  Hilliard Munoz Gonzales LLP has been successfully representing clients in the United States and Mexico since 1986. 

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140320/DA87485

SOURCE Hilliard Munoz Gonzales LLP

Contact: Kelly McQuary, Hilliard Munoz Gonzalez LLP, 361-882-1612, kelly@hmglawfirm.com

-0- Mar/20/2014 15:25 GMT

所有跟帖: 

Lee夠冤的。事故中喪生的太慘了。 -N.- 給 N. 發送悄悄話 N. 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/21/2014 postreply 00:53:30

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”