【職場點滴】到底是不是呀?

來源: ibelieu 2022-04-24 13:31:36 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3728 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ ibelieu ] 在 2022-04-24 18:44:29 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Once again, I found myself at the podium facing 5 black robed justices of the state's Supreme Court, who sat in their high backed chairs, their stoic features wearing that usual hard-to-read expression. 

I needed to greet them before launching into my prepared speech, but I did not remember their names. 

Truth be told, I haven't met anyone who's worse than me in terms of remembering people's names.  My co-workers greet each other in the morning by saying, "Good Morning, (person’s name)".  I always just say "Good Morning".  My greetings come out truncated because I, so often, just don't remember my co-workers' names. 

Fortunately, I did not have to greet the justices by their names.  I just started by saying:"Good Morning your honors!  My name is ….”  You see, I only had to remember my own name there, which, I’m happy to report, is something I’ve always been able to manage.

The case isn't terribly complicated.  The state reimburses insurance companies who pay into a special fund for certain benefits they pay to their insureds.  The appellant in this case, a town, wants to be reimbursed by the state, too, but towns do not pay into that special fund.   

So I argued on behalf of the state to the court: “The function of the state, through the special fund, is no different from that of insurance companies who cover the risks of their insureds in exchange for payment of premiums.  Here, the payment by the insurance companies into the special fund is like premium.  The town is not entitled to the claimed reimbursements because it does not pay premium.”

It all sounds very plausible, doesn't it?  The problem is that not too long before, I had stood before this same court and argued in a different case that the state was not an insurer.

In that other case, the state transfers a case to an insurance company.  The defendant in the case claims, however, that it, by law, does not pay insurance companies.  The insurance company then returns the case to the state so the state can get paid by that defendant.  The defendant claims that the state itself is also an insurance company.  

I had won that case and got the defendant to pay the state by arguing, successfully, that the state was not an insurance company.  Here in this case, I seemed to be arguing the opposite that the state was functioning like an insurance company. 

I was a little worried that one of the justices might stop me and remind me of my argument in that previous case, which would call for a lengthy explanation on my part.  All justices are not experts in that specific realm of law and long explanations may be confusing to them.  So I quickly followed my main argument with the finishing comment: “We are a state.  Unlike Uncle Sam, we don’t have a money-printing machine.  If parties like the town, who do not pay into the special fund, also get reimbursed by the state, the state would go bankrupt.”

It was then the appellant's turn for rebuttal.  Before he could utter a word, though, one of the justices asked him: “Is it true you do not pay into the fund?”  Then and there, I knew I had won.   

So, the state is not an insurance company.  Nevertheless, it can function like an insurance company.  You see the difference?  :)

所有跟帖: 

哇,難怪信大師口齒清晰,語法滴水不漏!學了很多法律方麵專業詞匯!:) -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 04/24/2022 postreply 14:11:39

Now you know why I don't talk/write about work: it's as -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (37 bytes) () 04/24/2022 postreply 14:20:07

哈哈,我也經常隻說“Good Morning" 因為不記得別人的名字或者知道但讀不好,幹脆省略。 -天邊一片白雲- 給 天邊一片白雲 發送悄悄話 天邊一片白雲 的博客首頁 (74 bytes) () 04/24/2022 postreply 16:53:38

It is amazing how different parts of our brain perform -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (751 bytes) () 04/24/2022 postreply 17:50:37

流利 -WXCTEATIME- 給 WXCTEATIME 發送悄悄話 WXCTEATIME 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 09:23:00

恭喜ibelieu。首頁進來,謝謝網管,職場點滴 到底是不是呀?推薦成功 -梅雨潭- 給 梅雨潭 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 12:04:20

謝謝鼓勵! -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 13:51:04

律師被迫違反自己從前的立場的時候是會被對方抓小辮子的,顯然對方律師沒有好好做功課。 -二胡一刀- 給 二胡一刀 發送悄悄話 二胡一刀 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 13:13:52

謝謝回帖。我想對方是做了準備的,但預留的 -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (332 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 16:46:09

有意思,好像unemployment insurance 有的州外包給保險公司有的自己管(像TPA). -AP33912- 給 AP33912 發送悄悄話 AP33912 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 18:40:00

看來你是內行。 The basic unemployment insurance -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (158 bytes) () 04/25/2022 postreply 19:36:21

大師是律師,能說能寫是必須的. 我一個學法律的朋友說上學時免不了課堂上搞模擬法庭, 他隻想當被告,因為不用說話... . -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 04/26/2022 postreply 07:13:57

嗨,我猜絕大多數人一開始總是趕著鴨子上架,免不了 -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (472 bytes) () 04/26/2022 postreply 07:32:17

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”