Premier Doug Ford called the men who stole thousands of dollars of booze from an LCBO store in Kitchener, Ont. a “brazen bunch of crooks.”
He made the comments during a self-professed “crime rant” at a press conference Wednesday.
“We gotta catch these guys and throw them in jail,” Ford told reporters. “They just do not care.”
The theft happened at the Pioneer Park location on Aug. 23. Six men walked into the store around 4:30 p.m., grabbed bottles off the shelves and shoved the alcohol into large bags.
The incident was filmed by another customer in the store who later posted it, anonymously, on social media.
In the video, three of the men could be seen calmly filling the bags. They also appeared unfazed by the camera filming the theft and their uncovered faces.
The suspects were last seen leaving the area in a dark-coloured SUV.
Video stills of the suspects who stole booze from the Pioneer Park branch of the LCBO in Kitchener, Ont. (Source: WRPS)
The Waterloo Regional Police Service said most of the stolen bottles were scotch and the value of their haul was an estimated $8,000.
“This was a brazen, coordinated and organized theft committed on such a scale that the items taken are obviously not for personal consumption,” a statement from Waterloo Regional Police said. “The suspects showed little concern for the safety or wellness of staff and patrons inside the store, and we are currently reviewing evidence, including video and photos, to identify those responsible. We are committed to identifying them, arresting them and holding them accountable for their actions.”
This theft, they added, was far from an isolated incident.
“We’ve had over 900 LCBO-related calls this year already,” said WRPS Deputy Chief Jen Davis. “We’ve laid over 500 charges.”
Video stills of the suspects who stole booze from the Pioneer Park branch of the LCBO in Kitchener, Ont. (Source: WRPS)
Investigators are now working with the LCBO and other police departments to determine if the theft is related to similar incidents in other communities.
“We know that on the clandestine market this type of product is fetching around 40 to 50 per cent of the original cost, which then might be fueling other criminal activity,” Davis told CTV News.
Police also confirmed WRPS Chief Mark Crowell had been in contact with with the premier on the matter.
In the video, customers could be seen passively watching the thieves grab the bottles and walk out of the store.
Police said that was the right move.
“I don’t encourage anyone in the public engaging with these individuals,” Davis said. “I know it’s frustrating but, unfortunately, we don’t know if these individuals are armed with any type of weapon.”
The LCBO also recommends no intervention from employees or customers.
“Our employees receive regular, mandatory training in theft detection, deterrence and reporting,” they said in a statement to CTV News. “This training focuses on personal safety, observation, and gathering information to support police investigations. LCBO employees or customers who physically confront shoplifters put themselves and others in store at risk.”
They added: “Just because someone walks out of LCBO with a bottle, doesn’t mean that they get away with the crime. Through our collaboration with police services across the province, we continue to hold criminals accountable – even after they have left the store."
The premier, meanwhile, called it “ironic” that Ontarians will, ultimately, be the ones paying for the theft.
“It’s the taxpayer’s money, the LCBO,” Ford said Wednesday. “They’re stealing off the taxpayers.”
He felt confident, however, the suspects would be caught.
“We’re going to keep these guys accountable,” Ford insisted. “We gotta get tough on this crime. People are fed up.”
The premier also promised he would reach out to Prime Minister Mark Carney to discuss bail reform.