To. W. P.
By George Santayana (桑塔亞納)
我心幾許,流逝隨君。With you a part of me hath passed away;
意念之內,眾人成林。For in the peopled forest of my mind,
獨木飄零,寒風凜凜。A tree made leafless by this wintry wind,
青蔥春色,褪去難尋。Shall never don again its green array.
教堂爐畔,村路海灣。Chapel and fireside, country road and bay,
多少友情,散失無邊。Have something of their friendliness resigned;
縱有餘溫,得之亦艱。Another, if I would, I could not find,
一朝一暮,老去經年。And I am grown much older in a day.
記憶深處,依然珍藏。But yet I treasure in my memory,
你的慈善,青春飛揚。Your gift of charity and young heart's ease,
可親可敬,可愛榮光。And the dear honor of your amity;
我曾擁有,豐富綿長。For these once mine, my life is rich with these.
思之衡之,蓋莫能分。And I scarce know which part may greater be --
君之遺我,我之奉君。What I keep of you , or you rob from me.