Car Accident

來源: 望海潮 2007-05-08 22:29:13 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3543 bytes)
This morning when I backed out of my drive way, my car and the neighbor's collided. What happened, in my impression, was that I finished backing out, stopped looking backwards, turned to look forward and to my left, so I can turn left and drive out of the street. Then I heard a honk, and almost simultaneously, I heard the sound of cars scraping, and saw my next door neighbor (their house is on my right-hand side) driving into his driveway. His car was not on the street when I was pulling out, so I thought he must have justed came into the street and tried to drive through from behind me into his drive way. My child carpools with other children to go to school, and, with a moment of senility, I decided to go drop her off at her carpool place first and then come back to deal with the accident. I lowered my window and said so to the neighbor, and he nodded OK. Neither of us got out of the car at this point. I can see that his car has a long scratch mark from the rear left to the rear left car door.

I came back about 15 minutes later. The neighbor came over with his driver license and insurance certificate. To my surprise, he said that (insted of driving back into his driveway, as I believed he was doing), he had been sitting in the street all along when I was backing out, waiting to turn left and take his daughter to school, when he saw that I was backing rapidly into him, so he honked and quickly pulled forward to drive back into his driveway, otherwise I would have hit his car worse, said he.

I did not call him a liar, but we live in a cul-de-sac. I always back my car straight into the diameter of the imaginary circle, before I turn forward and left to go. It is a pretty long way to back out, and I always look through the glass at the back of my car while doing so (who wouldn't when you have a streetful of neighbors and kids). If he had been sitting in the street when I backed out, I would have seen when I walked into the garage, or seen him pulling out parallel to me but a little ahead, or at the very least, see him through the back window. But I did not see his car at all. So to me the only possibility was that he was in fact driving into his driveway from outside, and decided to quickly go through from behind me instead of waiting for me to finish my turn. He asked if he could tell insurance company about the accident the way he told me ("we have to be consistent, right?), I said "you should tell whatever happened."

I have deal with this guy before. He is one of the very few people I have met in America that habitually lies, with or without a cause. Knowing him, I regret that I did not stop right after the accident, call the police and get the facts straight. But as I did not, by the evening my insurance company called me, they sounded like they were already assuming it's my fault.

The damage to my car is a big dent to my rear right bumper. It is not expensive to repair (about $1,000), but of course I have the deductible and the premium increase to deal with if I am found at fault.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about presenting my case to my insurance company that this could not have been my fault, at least not entirely? I did not take any pictures or have witnesses, and the insurance company is not sending anyone to my house (I am going in for an inspection). I can take a picture of the street and go to explain it with a diagram, but I would love to hear anyone's experience or suggestions.

Thank you.

所有跟帖: 

回複:Car Accident -mfl- 給 mfl 發送悄悄話 mfl 的博客首頁 (50 bytes) () 05/09/2007 postreply 12:39:25

著是樓主的錯誤, 對方的錯是不應該有車子, 更不應該做你的鄰居 -a510050- 給 a510050 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/09/2007 postreply 12:54:26

Agree. -needwait..- 給 needwait.. 發送悄悄話 needwait.. 的博客首頁 (85 bytes) () 05/09/2007 postreply 13:46:53

Appreciate your comments. -望海潮- 給 望海潮 發送悄悄話 (794 bytes) () 05/09/2007 postreply 14:36:22

two cents -N.- 給 N. 發送悄悄話 (675 bytes) () 05/10/2007 postreply 23:43:11

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”