被房東騙,錢可以不付嗎?

I am in California.

My lease is expired in the middle of July. I bought a house and wanted to move out early.

Since the townhouse I rent is fairly easy to be rented out, (It has good location and a good school nearby,  also quiet.)  I think I can save some money if somebody can rent the townhouse immediately after me.

I notified the office in May. After few days, the lady in the office told me my unit is rented out.

I moved out and turned in keys in the middle of June after I paid all my prorates in June. (I received a letter from the office told me how much I need to pay before I moved out.)

I thought all is over and had happily lived  in my new house for two days until I received a call from the office manager saying I owe them rent till to the middle of the July, also $1200 discount they give to me, since I signed a lease agreed to pay back this amount if the lease is broke or I move out early. Also I was told that the new tenant will move in on July 2. I was outrages because I was misled and nobody tell me anything before I left. I could have avoid paying $1200. I immediately asked my keys back but was refused.

We came to the office several days later, asked if we can avoid that $1200. The manager is not there. The lady said, "The new tenant changed mind, He(She)will move in after your lease is expired.In that case, you don't need to pay $1200." Also, she asked us to talk to the manager. We did not talk to the manager because we think at least we don't need to pay that $1200.

Now we received a letter from office asking the rest of the rent plus $1200 concession because we break the lease.
Obviously that lady lied again. I have to pay the rest of the rent, but I refuse to pay the concession money.

Do I need to go to the small amount court on this dispute, and if so, will I win?

所有跟帖: 

回複:被房東騙,錢可以不付嗎? -zhuce- 給 zhuce 發送悄悄話 (93 bytes) () 07/18/2011 postreply 16:36:24

Thank you for your answer. -灣漂- 給 灣漂 發送悄悄話 灣漂 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/18/2011 postreply 17:00:16

回複:why not got the written notice? -有感而發- 給 有感而發 發送悄悄話 (308 bytes) () 07/18/2011 postreply 18:01:15

Good idea. I did not get any written approval. But I guess move -灣漂- 給 灣漂 發送悄悄話 灣漂 的博客首頁 (572 bytes) () 07/18/2011 postreply 19:53:04

回複:Good idea. I did not get any written approval. But I guess mo -playdoh2- 給 playdoh2 發送悄悄話 (153 bytes) () 07/19/2011 postreply 04:19:22

I think you either pay the rent till your lease termination, or -N.- 給 N. 發送悄悄話 N. 的博客首頁 (69 bytes) () 07/18/2011 postreply 20:20:49

I am afraid justice can not be done, because of that tricky leas -灣漂- 給 灣漂 發送悄悄話 灣漂 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/18/2011 postreply 20:41:59

Get the receit of rent for July, then present it to the court. -playdoh2- 給 playdoh2 發送悄悄話 (49 bytes) () 07/19/2011 postreply 04:26:52

回複:Get the receit of rent for July, then present it to the court -灣漂- 給 灣漂 發送悄悄話 灣漂 的博客首頁 (78 bytes) () 08/05/2011 postreply 22:15:01

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!