I would use the one-tenth rule...(this is a long reply)

來源: borisg 2024-02-05 15:28:01 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1447 bytes)

That is, your uncovered exposure should not exceed 1/10 of your critical asset.

Let's say you have 10 units worth 1 million. The insurance for these 10 units is probably 10k. The average probability of residential fire damage is less than 1/100 per year, and the average damaged value is about 30k.

So in ten years your expected loss is 1 event, 30k, but you pay premium of 100k. 

If you don't buy insurance, you may have fire that takes out a house, but you are still ok with 9, that will not change your financial position significantly.

Of course insurance is more complicated, not just covering fire insurance. But you get the idea.

Now, if you live in a place like Florida, you are likely to have correlated damages that damage several properties in a same year. In this case my calculation above does not apply. You have to diversify your risk first before stop paying insurance.

In the same consideration, if you have 5 10-unit multiunit buildings, you still have too much rist. You need 10 such buildings. Because a single fire can take out all 10 in a single event. We have a big fire a couple of years in a town that took out 20 units. 

On top of that, you need to maintain sufficient cash liquidity to deal with the various cost of an un-insured loss. In my first example, you need to have cash ready for about 100k at any time. 

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”