美聞:丹佛某小學食堂員工因給飢餓學生“free lunch”被學校開除引發爭議

來源: 潛水員大爺 2015-06-04 14:14:55 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2784 bytes)
Della Curry,因為給學校 某些不在“免費 午餐" 名單上的飢餓學生免費午餐,被學校當局開除,引發社會媒體在爭議。

She just couldn't see a kid go hungry.

Della Curry, a cafeteria worker in an elementary school in a Denver suburb, has been fired for giving free food to students who didn't qualify for the federal free lunch program.

The mother of two admitted to KCNC-TV, which first reported the story, that she violated school policy by giving the free meals but said that she didn't want to see the children go hungry. She's hoping her case will change district policy.

"I had a first grader in front of me, crying, because she doesn't have enough money for lunch. Yes, I gave her lunch," Curry told the station. "I'll own that I broke the law. The law needs to be changed."

Colorado cafeteria worker

Curry (pictured above) said that many students' families can't afford to send them lunch even if they don't qualify for the free or reduced cost lunch program. She said sometimes students simply forget their lunch money and noted that on occasion she even went into her own pocket to pay for lunches.

Cherry Creek School District, where she had been employed, refused to comment to the station about her case, saying it was a personnel matter.

But after the report aired, the district posted a statement on the district web site about the policy without mentioning her by name. It said that students are given free lunches the first three times they forget their lunch money and after that they are given a cheese or if available turkey sandwich, along with a milk.

"No child is ever allowed to go without lunch," said the district's statement.

But Curry said that meal is not enough and leaves kids still hungry.

The district said the cost of the district's lunch program are not covered by the prices charged.

Curry hopes to speak to the Board of Education about her case and about changing the policy.

"If me getting fired for it is one way that we can try to change this, I'll take it in a heartbeat," she said.

She may have support from some parents at the meeting. Parent Darnell Hill told the station that Curry should be thanked for what she did.

"Do something different than fire her. She's trying to help," he said.

所有跟帖: 

現狀:Curry said that many students' families can't afford to send -潛水員大爺- 給 潛水員大爺 發送悄悄話 潛水員大爺 的博客首頁 (145 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 14:17:22

在美國某些北方城市,”For Lower-Income Students, Snow Days Can Be Hungry Da -潛水員大爺- 給 潛水員大爺 發送悄悄話 潛水員大爺 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 14:32:52

snow day=hungry day這段“引子”是某主流媒體的報道大標題,我一字沒改,作為世界最強大的國家,不應有這洋的事發生 -潛水員大爺- 給 潛水員大爺 發送悄悄話 潛水員大爺 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 14:45:21

早說過你腦袋癡線了。 -mapell22- 給 mapell22 發送悄悄話 mapell22 的博客首頁 (90 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 16:13:41

事實是美國內,每天學校都有中午餓肚子的孩子(有個估計數是百萬計的,你可以查一下),蓋因家裏沒能力提供午餐,有不夠格享用ZF的資助 -潛水員大爺- 給 潛水員大爺 發送悄悄話 潛水員大爺 的博客首頁 (197 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 16:22:26

你們州享受政府資助的家庭年收入多少? -mapell22- 給 mapell22 發送悄悄話 mapell22 的博客首頁 (135 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 16:36:57

城頭上就有美國窮人拿福利的帖子。 -mapell22- 給 mapell22 發送悄悄話 mapell22 的博客首頁 (184 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 16:39:05

這個階層的人是不知道如何控製預算,CNNmoney上曾經有過節目是教人如何預算(主要針對低收入家庭),要用不同的信封來把一個月的 -潛水員大爺- 給 潛水員大爺 發送悄悄話 潛水員大爺 的博客首頁 (300 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 16:50:27

有foodbank為什麽還挨餓,中國還沒有foodbank呢,也沒聽說誰挨餓。 -mapell22- 給 mapell22 發送悄悄話 mapell22 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 19:15:08

有錢花7,8千億在軍費上,怎麽沒錢讓小學生吃飽? -FHZM- 給 FHZM 發送悄悄話 FHZM 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 18:36:34

他們拿了福利金就去吸毒酗酒,怎麽可能吃飽。 -mapell22- 給 mapell22 發送悄悄話 mapell22 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/04/2015 postreply 19:13:44

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”