windshield replacement, once in a life time thing

來源: leslieking 2020-05-15 12:13:26 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2033 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ leslieking ] 在 2020-05-15 12:20:33 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

My jaguar windshield cracked a foot long from a wiper arm (it's metal!) during replacing the wiper blade.  Why did I decided to replace it myself? For saving $, for learning, or for nothing to do during SIP.  

I got the parts ($225) from glass.net, tool set ($19) and primer ($20) and urethane tube ($35) from ebay. And of courses, hours of watching Youtube trying to find a method that fits me: metal wire, poke through under the glass, pull to cut the urethane seal.  The urethane caulking gun was over a hundred dollars I was later allowed to return to HD.

Two weekends probably 20 hours as compared to 1 hour for a pro.  The hardest is indeed the cutting the urethane seal.  The cutting knife from the toolset was useless, dull and a skill I do not have, e.g., good angel to cut.  The long poking sticker worked ok in pushing the metal wire thr the glass.  The metal wire is very strong probably 10 times than a 40 lbs fishing line and yet it broke a dozen times.

I managed to replace the third brake light (it was dim, but works in the first place!), and drooping ceiling cloth and the vent (both failed).  The protective moulding around the windshield and wiper spray.  All the reasons why I wanted to replace the windshield myself.

I did solicit wife in positioning the new windshield. 

If I were to do it again, I would find the right sharp cutting blade to do most of the cutting and use the metal wire to cut where the knife won’t reach.  I doubt I would ever want to do it again. 

所有跟帖: 

No for me -bushihandyman- 給 bushihandyman 發送悄悄話 bushihandyman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2020 postreply 16:23:30

nah, too much work,i paid 150 after insurance to replace it -iceox- 給 iceox 發送悄悄話 iceox 的博客首頁 (39 bytes) () 05/15/2020 postreply 18:31:39

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”