Strut replacement

來源: leslieking 2016-11-14 11:06:33 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2941 bytes)

Jaguar x-type 2003, passenger side strut leaking oil, worn and visable damper damaged. More importantly the alignment shop could not correct alignment, causing inner tire worn out and flat tire after 10,000 miles.

I searched and found a used strut from Ebay, $55.  As new ones could cost $300 each side, and though looking rusty, the strut and spring appear still usable.

Steps to take out the old one.

1) removed wheel, removed brake pads and assembly.  tried to hammer down and pulling out strut; then realized the strut was about 2 inches inside.

2) removed swing bar link, and debated to remove the balljoint.

3) weighing that removing the balljoint would most likly damage the part, I decided to remove the control arm.  <--- this was hard.

4) lower down the control arm, the strut came out after some hammer pounding.

The above steps already took me 2 hours Friday night, 4 hours Saturday morning.

Reinstall the strut.

1) slid back the used strut and managed to wiggle it into the strut hole.

2) managed to put back the control arm.  Terrible experience with aligning the screen hole to drop in.  <--- I would avoid this.  I would have the new ball joint handy and then remove the ball join.  Metal needs precision and very heavy to maneuver.

3) put back the ABS line, brake assembly.

Test drove it and felt the car is noticeably smoother.

I drove the car this morning to work, which is about 30 miles and found the car is smoother.

I will replace two tires and alignment.

Strut work is always tough.  This is my third time replacing strut.  Total amount of time, 8 hours.  Cost of parts, $55.  The hero was the metal bar that has the tape on it, somehow it lifted the subframe and align the control arm so the bolt would drop.

Whew, thanks for reading and happy with car repair.

所有跟帖: 

自己換, 為啥不用新的? 沒有這樣省的。 -dvdport- 給 dvdport 發送悄悄話 dvdport 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/15/2016 postreply 22:03:44

新的一對要六百刀啊。這回算是預習,過幾年壞了,咱換全新的。 -leslieking- 給 leslieking 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2016 postreply 12:53:29

嗬嗬,這個不難,你還沒有壓彈換。我有15分鍾拆一個shock的記錄 -bushihandyman- 給 bushihandyman 發送悄悄話 bushihandyman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/16/2016 postreply 16:46:22

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”