五百基礎詞匯的使用和練習(37)

來源: EnLearner 2012-06-10 19:59:56 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3187 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2012-06-11 09:23:50 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

"Zounds! I was never so bethump'd with words
Since I first call'd my brother's father dad."
Shakespeare, King John

Words to Learn This Week

heir
majestic
dwindle
surplus
traitor
deliberate
vandal
drought
abide
unify
summit
heed

Read the following story to see how the new words are used in it.

Listen to Smokey the Bear

At one time the United States was heir to great riches, for more than half of our country was covered with forests. Now the majestic woodlands have dwindled to the point where we have no surplus of trees. Of course, only a traitor to the beauties of nature would deliberately set a forest fire, but careless citizens are the vandals who are responsible for much of the destruction. In time of drought especially, scorching fires started by careless smokers can reduce a beautiful forest to acres of blackened stumps.

Theodore Roosevelt understood that we cannot abide the continual loss of our precious forests but we must learn 10 live in harmony with nature. In 1905, he appointed Gifford Pinchot to head the Forest Service which promptly began to unify efforts in caring for our national forests. The modern forest rangers, from the "lockouts" stationed on mountain summits to the "smokejumpers" who parachute from airplanes to fight fires, ask us to heed the advice of Smoky the Bear, who has become their symbol. Smoky says, "Only you can prevent forest fires."

Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.

01. The exhausted regimen ___________ down to a few troops.

02. Secret documents listed the ____________ to the large fortune.

03. Iris made a ___________ attempt to ignore their biting comments.

04. The __________ of waste materials has polluted our rivers.

05. Charles blundered off in the wrong direction without _________ my warning cries.

06. Lincoln tried in vain to keep the North and South ____________ .

07. It did not take long before the unruly crowd turned into a mob of howling ______________ .

08. The confirmed bachelor could not ___________ having anyone touch a single utensil in his home.

09. If the __________ does not end soon. I can predict a famine.

10. The population rise will reach its __________ in a few years and then it will level off.

11. Lt. Jenkins lost every morsel of self-respect and became a ____________ to his flag.

12. The loyal captain. __________ in defeat, won the sympathy of the people.

所有跟帖: 

Thanks YuGong -同學小薇- 給 同學小薇 發送悄悄話 同學小薇 的博客首頁 (6660 bytes) () 06/11/2012 postreply 07:43:22

Super! Thanks Xiaowei. -EnLearner- 給 EnLearner 發送悄悄話 EnLearner 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/11/2012 postreply 20:32:39

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”