The Warmness of a Fireplace

來源: rockcurrent 2013-01-14 21:33:13 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5355 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ rockcurrent ] 在 2013-01-15 01:28:20 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

The Warmness of a Fireplace

A lot of ladies show their favourites to a fireplace, especially at a place called Canada. Obviously, my wife, the LD is not on the exception list. Many years ago when we were still living in an apartment, she already started to wish living in a house with a fireplace. The warm and cozy feeling by seating in front of a fireplace, was implanted deeply in her heart, and was further intensified every year by the snowy and windy weather of where we lived. Could you imagine how comfortable it would be by viewing and enjoying the dancing flame from a fireplace while the outside is snowing and blowing at a temperature of minus 45 degrees Celsius? I am sure your friends from South California or a hot place would think how a silly question this is!

The house we bought was not originally equipped with a fireplace, and I believed it was probably caused by the fact that the original owner was from India, though the builder must had offered them the choice.  However, we like the house as it is an almost brand new bi-level, in high quality and in a good area. Most importantly, my wife saw the potential of turning it into a desired place she dreamed, though she did not tell me at the beginning.  So the first request I received when I started to develop the basement was to put a fireplace there!  Well, as this was the command from LD, I must make it true no matter how hard it would be. Actually, as always, LDs do not care about the difficultly in doing anything because it were not their business!  I know clearly that it would add up $6000~8000 over my budget with the condition that I do the job myself. Otherwise, it would double or even triple the cost I estimated. However, it is well known that all the projects, not matter how big or small, would always go over the budgets, especially when LDs come over and give some instructions. So budget would not be as important as LD’s satisfaction and recognitions on the project, and I went ahead to do the related researches. The fireplace I firstly decided should be high efficiency, direct vent, burning natural gas. This would make it easy for LD to select the style and other functions. After one trip to the fireplace company, a high efficient, direct vent, remotely controllable gas fireplace was selected.

During the ordering and shipping of the fireplace, I need to prepare a base, the necessary electrical wire, and think about the framing for it. The installation was pretty much easy, such as making a hole on the wall and installing the chimney after we decided a site to set the fireplace. The only job we are not allowed to do is to run the gas line and fit the gas pipe to fireplace. It must be conducted by personnel with specific certificate according to the code requirement.  The subsequent framing and dry-wall works were finished very soon, as LD eagerly wanted to try the fireplace, even with a bare floor. Finally, the flame was lit up on a trial. Everyone in the house was excited at the flame and the fancy functions of this modern fireplace! Now the last step would be the final finishing: installing tiles around the surface. At the beginning, I planned to install regular tiles. But finally, LD decided to install tiles with a marble in the middle, which are more pleasing to eyes and much more expensive than the regular ones without a profile.  To make the finishing work even fancy, two rows of polished marbles were placed on the floor in front of fireplace. To our great satisfaction, a marble matching the tile’s color was found. The shining marbles reflect its grace and the flame, revealing a beauty that is well worth the price being paid!

Time after time at the end of suppers or parties in winter season, we would gather together in front of the fireplace to enjoy the fire and warmth while having family meetings, playing games or singing Karaoke with friends.

u

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

所有跟帖: 

沙發! -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2013 postreply 21:40:59

再看再感歎!RC,你的雙手怎麽能這麽巧啊!!! -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (163 bytes) () 01/14/2013 postreply 21:43:45

謝謝MF, 快給磚出來! -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2013 postreply 22:24:32

還是讓文青來找吧。我怎麽覺得又挺對了呢。:) -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2013 postreply 22:29:39

好吧,就等文青了! 她要給水泥就好啦, haha, 省的俺去買了. -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2013 postreply 22:37:15

nice job. -bmdn- 給 bmdn 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 08:21:54

Thanks for your comment, bmdn! -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 10:59:50

自然流暢,溫磬。。。WOW, RC's really handy...:-) -同學小薇- 給 同學小薇 發送悄悄話 同學小薇 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 08:49:08

Thanks, XW, have a good day! -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 11:00:24

Wow, a master artisan! -千與.千尋- 給 千與.千尋 發送悄悄話 千與.千尋 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 16:40:00

謝謝千尋,學了新詞! -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 18:59:22

RC真能幹,壁爐好溫暖。 -紓珈- 給 紓珈 發送悄悄話 紓珈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 17:02:34

謝謝貝卡美言! -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2013 postreply 19:00:01

laziness is far from warmth. -走馬讀人- 給 走馬讀人 發送悄悄話 走馬讀人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/16/2013 postreply 06:58:57

RC,you are so handy! 羨慕嫉妒恨!暫時沒有水泥,等下次有空了再仔細讀! -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/18/2013 postreply 18:46:15

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”