怎麽理解 surrender to

來源: 小米幹飯 2023-05-13 21:19:43 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4422 bytes)

Thousands surrender to Border Patrol as Title 42 ends

EL PASO — Under the shadow of Gate 42, Elizabeth Ramirez repeated “I didn’t want it to be like this,” as she crossed over the Rio Grande, low and sluggish over algae.

She was one of a group of two dozen people surrendering to U.S. Customs and Border Patrol on Wednesday. The people crossing would say where they were from – Colombia, Peru, Venezuela – children waved, people threw thumbs up or made hearts with their hands to the cameras and members of the media.

Ramirez walked nearly last, crying. She said that coming to the U.S. was a shared dream, between herself and her 13-year old daughter. She told reporters that her daughter was killed in Hermosillo, Sonora, where Ramirez was from.

“I’m holding her right here,” she said, carrying her daughter’s ashes in a bag to the bus waiting below the embankment.

Ramirez is one of the thousands of people to surrender to the border patrol in recent days, as a massive shift in immigration policy looms on the U.S. Southern border.

Title 42, a policy enacted in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, ends midnight Eastern time on May 11, expiring with the federal emergency order. It refers to a section in a 1994 public health law that allows curbing migration in the name of public health. Initially ordered under the Trump administration, it continued under President Biden.

The policy allowed authorities to immediately expel people seeking asylum at the border into Mexico, or to their country of origin, billing it as a way to limit the spread of the coronavirus. National medical experts joined with human rights groups to object to the policy, saying it has no basis in public health.

https://kansasreflector.com/2023/05/11/thousands-surrender-to-border-patrol-as-title-42-ends/#:~:text=Title%2042%2C%20a%20policy%20enacted,the%20name%20of%20public%20health.

請問怎麽理解 surrender to?說成是“投降”好像不太合適。

是不是現在待在美墨邊境的移民,不再試圖偷偷潛入美國,而是非常配合 border patrol 的工作。排著隊站好,讓 border patrol 把他們抓起來,然後按合法程序走流程。

所有跟帖: 

I think you understand it right. I'd say don't translate. -7grizzly- 給 7grizzly 發送悄悄話 7grizzly 的博客首頁 (43 bytes) () 05/13/2023 postreply 21:50:22

U got it right. Just check English dictionary: -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (3009 bytes) () 05/14/2023 postreply 08:26:20

謝謝兩位回複。 -小米幹飯- 給 小米幹飯 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2023 postreply 07:40:19

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”