流行美語:hip 很時髦 & square 不時髦(音頻文字)VOA (ZT)
Larry和李華正在去學校的書店。 李華今天會學到兩個常用語hip and square。
LL: Wow, Li Hua, that is a really hip book bag!
LH: Hip? Hip不是人的臀部嗎。這跟我的書包有什麽關係呢?
LL: "Hip" is a slang word that means something is really cool and neat. I think your back pack is cool, so I said it was hip.
LH: 我明白了, hip在這裏是個俚語。意思是很棒, 很時髦。 你喜歡我的背包?這還是我在中國上大學的時候買的呢。這麽舊的包有什麽好的呢?
LL: I think it is hip because it has Chinese characters on it. Things with Chinese characters on them are really cool - Really hip.
LH: 有中文字的東西都好啊?這種背包在中國到處都是。我們並不覺得這種背包特別時髦。
LL: Well, most Americans can't read the Chinese, but they still think having something, like a t-shirt or jewelry, with Chinese characters on it is really hip.
LH: 那到是很有意思,美國人不懂中文,可是卻喜歡有中文字的東西。我是看到有不少美國人的體恤衫上有中文字。中文字那麽時髦, 說不定還能吸引一些人來我的班上學中文呢。
LL: I am sure it will. Have you ever noticed some of the students have tattoos with Chinese characters?
LH: 是啊,有的美國人紋身,刺的是中文字 。可惜有的時候他們恐怕不知道這些字的意思。
LL: What do you mean?
LH: 我有一次在校園裏看到一位很時髦的男生,他的胳膊上寫著“隻能幹洗。”
LL: Ha, ha! That is really funny. And decidedly un-hip.
LH: 是啊,“隻能幹洗”不僅不酷而且很可笑。 Larry, 我們快到書店了。聽說時髦的學生都喜歡坐在書店的咖啡廳裏邊喝咖啡邊看書。你要不要也喝一杯咖啡呀?
LL: I don't know, Li Hua. . . Are we hip enough to drink coffee with all the cool students on campus?
LH: 你夠不夠時髦我不知道,反正我有資格,別忘了我有一個時髦的背包。
LL: Well, maybe some of your hip-ness will rub off on me!
LH:行呀,你就沾點我的光吧!
******
LL: Wow, sitting here with all of these hip college students is making me feel a little square.
LH: Larry, 你看上去既不是方的,也不是圓的。不過如果一定要給你定型的話,我覺得你更圓一些。
LL: I'm not talking about my physical shape, Li Hua. You know how "hip" means something cool? Something that is "square" is not cool at all.
LH: 噢,原來square跟我剛才學到的hip意思正相反。Square就是不時髦,很土得意思。
LL: That's right. And right now I am feeling square.
LH: 你為什麽感覺自己跟不上潮流很土呢?
LL: Well, I've been out of school for a while, and I've been working. Every one here seems so young and carefree. It seems part of growing up is to become square.
LH: 不錯,你已經畢業,開始在公司做事了,學校裏的人年齡也比較小。可是我不同意你的看法,成長並不等於越來越保守呀!
LL: Look - I'm wearing a dress shirt with a tie, khaki pants and glasses. This is the uniform of a square.
LH: 這我還沒有聽說!襯衫加領帶,一條卡基其布褲子,再帶上一付眼鏡,這就成了趕不上潮流的典型製服?
LL: Right.
LH: 可是Larry, 我覺得你的眼鏡很好看,很時髦。你看上去很有學問。
LL: Thanks, Li Hua. But squares often look smart and read and study all the time.
LH: 噢,不時髦的人看起來都很聰明,經常讀書學習。那我這個研究生每天都看書,一定就是不時髦嘍。I am a true square!
LL: Well, I guess that means we two squares can hang out together then!
今天李華學到了兩個常用語。一個是hip, 意思是很棒、很酷、很時髦。還有一個是square, 意思是保守,不時髦。
Words and Phrases
1. Hip
"Hip" is a slang word that means something is really cool and neat.
hip在這裏是個俚語。意思是很棒, 很時髦。
2. tattoo
紋身
3. square
"hip" means something cool. Something that is "square" is not cool at all.
square跟hip意思正相反。Square就是不時髦,很土得意思。
4. a dress shirt with a tie, khaki pants and glasses.
襯衫加領帶,一條卡基其布褲子,再帶上一付眼鏡.
5. This is the uniform of a square.
這就成了趕不上潮流的典型製服.
流行美語:hip 很時髦 & square 不時髦(音頻文字)
所有跟帖:
• 這個三級跳節目很適合我。這倆個詞學到了。謝謝! -清心隨緣- ♀ (0 bytes) () 05/28/2010 postreply 15:50:11
• 問好,一起學習。周末快樂。 -紓珈- ♀ (0 bytes) () 05/28/2010 postreply 16:20:05