作文欣賞

來源: 黃亦枚 2024-06-25 12:46:00 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5844 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 黃亦枚 ] 在 2024-06-25 18:22:51 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
我每次讀到女兒小時候寫的這篇作文,都會落淚。昨晚又讀了一遍。

The Secret to a Long Life 

Back in Kansas there’s an old apartment building, old enough to be built from brick and mortar. In winter, the snow would pile up several inches overnight – a hazard to walk and drive through, but good fun for a little girl whose greatest delight was chucking lightly-packed snowballs at her dad while he walked her to school. When spring came and the snow finally melted, the flower petals from the Bradford Pear trees in front of the building would cover the ground almost as thoroughly as the snow did, choking the grass that was just starting to turn green again. Choke might seem an inappropriate word here, yet the stench of death and decay was hardly what someone might expect from the dainty white blossoms that fluttered down as Spring’s snowflakes. 

Here I lived for a couple years or so with my parents as they attended the university. For some reason, I remember more about Lawrence, Kansas than I do about my time in any other city, even though I spent the least time there. I always thought it had something to do with how perfectly cinematic the apartment was – snowy winters, picturesque springs, sweltering summers, and autumns in which the leaves actually turned gold and fell off the trees, something that these procrastinating Californian trees have never felt the need to accomplish until the middle of “Winter”. I consider Lawrence an example of how seasons should be, because how can you honestly enjoy the weather without having experienced its many possibilities? Seasons are not meant to be experienced lukewarm, and life isn’t either.  

I recall running into the battered old white Toyota one summer, excited to be going to the grocery store with mom, and more so to check the floor of the car for the pennies and dimes that seemed to magically appear overnight. These I religiously gathered and stuck in my piggy bank, saving up for… well, for the sake of saving. It was my first summer in Lawrence, and I wasn’t quite expecting the coins to be so hot from sitting in the car all day. That summer, a squirrel found its way into our apartment, refusing to leave for days and days. In the fall, I played with my neighbor – as little girls, we spent our time doing what all little girls do: brewing magic potions in the bathroom with all the shampoos and soaps we could gather between the two of us, even going out to gather the fresh mint that flourished in on the left side of the apartment. I remember learning to ride a bike that same fall with my friend Charles, who later gave me chicken pox and a scrape on my knee. 

The great diversity of Lawrence is part of the reason why so many vivid memories of that dusty old apartment have imprinted themselves in my mind – even if I was only there from the age of four to six – for  it’s change that we remember, not day after day of the same monotonous lifestyle that quickly drums its way into a rhythm that ticks away at our lives.

找到幾張她小時候在我們學生宿舍樓家門口拍的照片

所有跟帖: 

恭喜你養育了兩個優秀的孩子 -羊爸兔媽- 給 羊爸兔媽 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 12:51:43

謝謝 -黃亦枚- 給 黃亦枚 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 13:13:46

女兒會寫的多 -土無垠- 給 土無垠 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 12:53:44

她特別喜歡看書。 -黃亦枚- 給 黃亦枚 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 13:15:23

哈利波特7本裏麵,後三本是2003,2005,2007出版的。 -ashouluo2012- 給 ashouluo2012 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 14:19:18

人艱不拆。樓主閨女應該是快30了 -jiahao- 給 jiahao 發送悄悄話 (167 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 14:26:52

就是一個版本吧。前三本比較精彩也沒有太多水分。7歲看差不多。 -Bailey4321- 給 Bailey4321 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 14:51:14

有兒有女的多好,自己非要整那些個虛無縹緲的東西。這下可以回歸家庭了吧? -LVHawaii- 給 LVHawaii 發送悄悄話 LVHawaii 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 13:36:20

文筆真不錯 -ivyclimber- 給 ivyclimber 發送悄悄話 ivyclimber 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 14:53:58

I read this beautiful piece a few years ago -Mike121212- 給 Mike121212 發送悄悄話 (336 bytes) () 06/25/2024 postreply 20:10:38

我要是你就會好好反思自己,好好的一雙兒女,讓你給耽誤了 -blueinheart- 給 blueinheart 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/26/2024 postreply 08:45:54

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”