昨天有人談到花滑小陳,今天看到耶魯報道,小陳的目標似乎不是醫生,而是醫學相關的科學研究。大學gap兩年,生活多彩多姿。

來源: TYTOU 2024-05-15 12:28:41 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (13210 bytes)

https://news.yale.edu/2024/05/14/pursuing-passions-new-and-old

Pursuing passions, new and old

Nathan Chen won gold at the Beijing Olympics — and then returned to Yale as a data science major with an appreciation for college traditions.
Nathan Chen

Nathan Chen (Photo by Dan Renzetti)

Nathan Chen always knew his Yale career would be split in two: when he arrived in the fall of 2018, the figure skater already had the 2022 Winter Olympics in his sights, and would need to take time off to prepare and compete.

While on campus, the demands of training meant that his days were packed, with classes in the morning and rink time in the afternoon. And even as he carried a full course load, he embarked on a remarkable competitive winning streak, earning a world title, two U.S. titles, and first place in two Grand Prix Finals and four individual Grand Prix events during his freshman and sophomore year.

During two years of leave, he continued to dominate the sport, all the way to the Beijing Olympics. There, in February 2022, Chen won gold in men’s singles figure skating, with a record-setting short program and an electric free skate, during which he completed five clean quad jumps.

Three people standing in a lobby with a sign that reads "Mammoth Bioscience"
Chen with his sister Janice (left), co-founder of Mammoth Biosciences, and Jennifer Kwan.

The months after his win were a whirlwind. He visited talk shows (Jimmy Fallon, who he taught to land an axle, was a highlight) and traveled with his teammates, touring Japan and the U.S. with Stars on Ice. Yet when he returned to Yale in the fall of 2022, it was with a renewed sense of excitement at becoming a student again.

A statistics and data science major, he immersed himself in his studies — while still making time for some of the experiences he’d missed the first time around. He chose to live on campus in his residential college, Jonathan Edwards (JE), and found a sense of belonging there.

I didn’t really know that many people coming back, so it was really helpful to have that community and a group of people I could rely on and fall back on,” Chen said. “They were very JE people — so they brought me to intramural sports, Wet Monday [the college’s annual water fight], things that were integral to the JE experience. Previously I hadn’t done that, so that was quite nice.”

He also found new areas of inspiration in his academic life, particularly with Jennifer Kwan, an assistant professor of medicine at Yale School of Medicine and a physician-scientist whose research focuses on cardio-oncology. The work in Kwan’s lab brought Chen “a blossoming interest and passion outside of skating,” he said. 

Their work leverages genetics and other -omics data which fortunately aligns with my data science background,” he said. “I’m learning a lot of new skills and exploring the world of medicine and health care from an angle that isn’t only sports medicine. It’s built a perspective of a career I would like to pursue in the future.” 

To that end, after graduation he plans to start a year-long post-baccalaureate program in Baltimore to fulfill his pre-med requirements.

A group of men wearing ice skates on an ice rink
Chen (far left) with fellow cast members at The Ice, a touring ice show in Japan.

While he’s relished his time as a student, Chen is still an Olympic champion — and, with typical focus, he’s made the most of his raised public profile. In the past two years, he’s performed again with Stars on Ice, written two books (one a memoir, the other a children’s book), attended the 2023 White House Lunar New Year celebration, and filmed a music video.

He also works with philanthropic organizations, including StandUP for Kids, a national non-profit program that works to end youth homelessness; Figure Skating in Harlem; and Athletes for Hope.

He doesn’t rule out competing in the 2026 Olympics — it just isn’t really on his mind right now.

But skating remains an integral part of his Yale experience. Most Tuesdays and Thursdays, he’d take the ice during free skate at Ingalls Rink (also known as “The Whale”). It remains one of his most treasured Yale spots, he said, and where he felt most himself.

Being at the Whale — being able to be on the ice, that’s a memory I’ll take with me,” Chen said. “It was a haven away from everything.”

所有跟帖: 

他是奧運冠軍,名校畢業,家裏也有些背景,走紫檀申醫老路,那簡直暴殄天物了。 -逛逛東西南北- 給 逛逛東西南北 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:33:00

哎,他願意幹啥就幹啥,我覺得他自己覺得好就好吧 -兩女寶媽- 給 兩女寶媽 發送悄悄話 兩女寶媽 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:34:30

人都不是傻的,都根據自己資源選想走的路。 -逛逛東西南北- 給 逛逛東西南北 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:35:00

也許到了一定程度,選擇和傻沒任何關係了 -兩女寶媽- 給 兩女寶媽 發送悄悄話 兩女寶媽 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:36:14

人應該按照自己的愛好和天分選 -凊荷- 給 凊荷 發送悄悄話 凊荷 的博客首頁 (57 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:23:00

讀post-baccalaureate premed的目的隻有一個就是進醫學院 -淘娃羊爸- 給 淘娃羊爸 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:37:51

是不是感覺和大躍進家娃一樣去NIH?小陳這種名實驗室肯定搶著要呀。他妹妹還是姐姐的startup也是 -gossipgirl8- 給 gossipgirl8 發送悄悄話 gossipgirl8 的博客首頁 (39 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 12:54:12

這種program就是為補齊Prereq 和備考MCAT,和科研不搭界。 -淘娃羊爸- 給 淘娃羊爸 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:05:34

實驗室不會在乎他是奧運冠軍 -凊荷- 給 凊荷 發送悄悄話 凊荷 的博客首頁 (30 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:11:41

我想有這樣的娃,有這樣的娃都要笑醒了 -ashouluo2012- 給 ashouluo2012 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:08:15

實驗室倒不太上趕著有名氣的人物。我覺得最好是MD然後管理,比如內閣職位FDA,NIH,甚至surgeon general -無言無語無聲- 給 無言無語無聲 發送悄悄話 (150 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:17:26

孩子的幾個同學和他有些接觸,覺得人不是很聰明,在耶魯讀書可能一般吧。 -BeLe- 給 BeLe 發送悄悄話 BeLe 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:28:20

他花那麽多時間滑冰,咋能和你娃同學比academics -凊荷- 給 凊荷 發送悄悄話 凊荷 的博客首頁 (33 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:32:51

不知道他MCAT考了沒有? -總要注冊- 給 總要注冊 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:34:20

大智若愚 -quicktrade- 給 quicktrade 發送悄悄話 (48 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:50:38

那不是必然的嗎?體育生 -阿拉拉- 給 阿拉拉 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 13:57:24

貝勒同學,你得被磚頭砸死。你和奧運冠軍比數學題做的好不好? lol -gossipgirl8- 給 gossipgirl8 發送悄悄話 gossipgirl8 的博客首頁 (129 bytes) () 05/15/2024 postreply 14:44:52

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”