時隔二十年,重溫《Gladiator》

昨晚在網飛翻電影,看到《Gladiator》,因為當年在影院看過,就想隨便看幾個段落。沒想到的是兩個多鍾頭的戲居然一氣看完了。關鍵幾場戲還回看了一次。

裏麵一段凱撒(Marcus Aurelius)親兒子Commodus要篡位奪權的戲,很精彩!

當Commodus知道父親選擇的接班人是Maximus將軍而不是自己時,開始激動起來:

Commodus:父親,你給我寫過一封信,提到了希望看到的四個美德:wisdom(智慧),justice (正義),fortitude(堅韌),和 temperance (忍隱)。我知道我一個也不具備。

但是我有其它的美德:ambition (雄心),resourcefulness (機智),courage(勇氣),雖然我的勇氣不一定表現在戰場上; devotion (忠誠),對家庭,對您的忠誠。隻是我的美德卻不入您眼。或許,您從來都沒有把我當成兒子看待。

凱撒:孩子,你說得過頭了!

Commodus:我曾經絞盡腦汁,千方百計來討好您,讓您為孩兒驕傲。您的一句好話,一個真心的擁抱,都像一束持續千年的陽光溫暖著我的心。。。您為啥如此憎惡我?

凱撒:別說了。。。

Commodus:我多麽想我能做得如您所願,凱撒,父親!

凱撒:孩子,your faults as a son is my failure as a father (子不教,父之過)。

順便提一下,演將軍/Gladiator的Russell Crowe 為此片獲得2001年的最佳男主角奧斯卡獎,演Commodus的華金2020年因《Joker》獲最佳男主角獎。

兩位在片中的演技無可挑剔!整個片子也成為經典。

當年的帥哥Russell Crowe在他最新的《Unhinged》(脫韁)裏,已經是個老肥醜了。

The faults of a son is the failure of a father. 

原文對白在此:

• Marcus Aurelius Are you ready to do your duty for Rome?

Commodus Yes, father.

Marcus Aurelius You will not be emperor.

Commodus Which wiser, older man is to take my place?

Marcus Aurelius My powers will pass to Maximus, to hold in trust until the Senate is ready to rule once more. Rome is to be a republic again.

Commodus Maximus?

Marcus Aurelius Yes.

[Marcus Aurelius tries to comfort Commodus by reaching out his hand to touch him on the face but Commodus pulls his head away from Marcus Aurelius' hand in disgust] 

Marcus Aurelius My decision disappoints you?

Commodus You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son.

Marcus Aurelius Oh, Commodus. You go too far.

Commodus I search the faces of the gods... for ways to please you, to make you proud. One kind word, one full hug... where you pressed me to your chest and held me tight. Would have been like the sun on my heart for a thousand years. What is it in me that you hate so much?

Marcus Aurelius Shh, Commodus.

Commodus All I've ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar. Father.

Marcus Aurelius [Marcus Aurelius gets down on his knees]  Commodus. Your faults as a son is my failure as a father.

[Marcus opens up his arms to Commodus and gives him a hug] 

Commodus [Commodus hugs Marcus and cries]  Father. I would have butcher the whole world... if you would only love me!

[Commodus begins to asphyxiate Marcus while they hug, Marcus grunts] 

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!