Lost In Paradise - Oahu: Day Four

來源: Gardenia_On_The_Bay 2012-10-21 12:32:09 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (9618 bytes)

Now a routine, we had our breakfast on the balcony. As it was winding down, a little bird got the word and flew over, waiting for us to leave so that she could clean the crumbs off the floor. She had no fear whatsoever of us, seemingly accustomed to humans. My daughter started "talking" to her by mimicking her chirping, and it went on for quite a few minutes. I think it's small moment like this that would make great memory.

Pearl Harbor was the destination for the day. It's the number 1 attraction of Oahu, and we didn't want to miss it, especially with the two little ones. It would be very educational for them.

We didn't get there until after 10am. The main parking lot was quite full, and we had to park in a side lot. Daddy went to get the tickets for the ferry to the USS Arizona Memorial, and the rest of us walked at a more manageable pace toward the entrance.

My son was all excited and anxious to be on board. However, our boarding time was not until 12:15pm, so we decided to pay a visit to USS Bowfin, a submarine turned museum.

Aboard the USS Bowfin.

This was where torpedoes were fired.

The USS Bowfin was launched on December 07, 1942, exactly one year after the Pearl Harbor attack. It was nicknamed the Pearl Harbor Avenger. Avenging it did, sinking many many Japanese ships.

I was amazed at how cramped the quarters were onboard the submarine. My hu*****and is not a big guy, and look how squeezed he was!

People had to be in a single file when touring the submarine.

A little pin-up on the bulletin board in the mess. War time or peace, some things never change :-).

Two serious tourists :-) learning about the submarine.

Imaginary firing on the deck.

As we walked off the submarine, I took this picture of her.

Both kids could not tear themselves away from the various guns on the premise.

The tour of the USS Arizona Memorial started with a movie about the history of Japan's sudden attack of Pearl Harbor that prompted the US to enter World War II. The movie talked about Japan's aggression against China as a prelude to their sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. As someone with roots in both countries, this movie carried dual significance to me.

Then we were off to board the ferry. The memorial was a gleaming white shrine sitting on top of the wreckage of the USS Arizona.

Looking up at the blue sky from inside the Memorial.

Looking at the wreckage..

A couple of pictures of me aboard the Memorial.

After we got back, Daddy was hungry and got himself a hot dog. In my daughter's word, it looked the most disgusting :-).

Our next stop was the USS Missouri battleship. Our little boy was so exhausted that he fell asleep on the bus there, though this would be his favorite part, boarding a real battleship!

Path leading to the battleship.

The ship was gigantic! Look at its guns.

During the war time, the reach of these guns was a top secret.

This was the spot where the Instrument of Surrender was signed by Japan and the Allied Countries that ended the World War II.

Kids always were drawn to guns, never fails :-).

We took the last bus at 4:05pm back to the visitor center.

Both kids fell asleep on our way back. A day without beach but was unique nevertheless.

請在這閱讀我的更多的博客文章

- Lost In Paradise - Oahu: Day Three

- 我的新歡最愛再加山寨Fleur Pellerin

- Lost In Paradise - Oahu: Day Two

- 首爾掠影-昌徳宮,大東門及其他

所有跟帖: 

Back home now, but the whole family -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (28 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 12:57:20

喜歡你片片的色調,女兒的身材象你,腿很長。 :) -clock-tower- 給 clock-tower 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 15:48:51

回複:喜歡你片片的色調,女兒的身材象你,腿很長。 :) -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (98 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 16:21:47

握握手,我的女兒也是,不喜歡的,買了也不穿,我也不敢瞎買,不象小時候好弄了。 -clock-tower- 給 clock-tower 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 18:29:54

even my 5 and half year old boy knows what -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (252 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 20:50:54

:) hahaha, you're in trouble ... -clock-tower- 給 clock-tower 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 22:56:38

修長身材,羨慕ing. -文學城的筆名的筆名- 給 文學城的筆名的筆名 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 16:20:43

謝謝美女。你的ID 讓人過目不忘:-)。 -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 16:23:34

Nice Pearl Harbor pictures! -ECityBlues- 給 ECityBlues 發送悄悄話 ECityBlues 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 16:37:27

Thanks. It's a fun -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (46 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 17:13:24

日本投降的地點一定很震撼!謝謝分享。 -bambooseven- 給 bambooseven 發送悄悄話 bambooseven 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 18:15:03

回複:日本投降的地點一定很震撼!謝謝分享。 -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (135 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 20:47:19

謝謝分享。特別喜歡穿件連衣裙的那兩張, 好飄逸! -夢月女- 給 夢月女 發送悄悄話 夢月女 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/21/2012 postreply 21:21:03

回複:謝謝分享。特別喜歡穿件連衣裙的那兩張, 好飄逸! -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (14 bytes) () 10/22/2012 postreply 14:11:56

真佩服你寫日記的毅力。謝謝分享! -寶馬金鞍- 給 寶馬金鞍 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/22/2012 postreply 05:43:53

Because I have a short term -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (111 bytes) () 10/22/2012 postreply 14:14:02

這些場景好熟悉 -79779- 給 79779 發送悄悄話 (246 bytes) () 10/22/2012 postreply 12:46:13

同感。美女是什 -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (12 bytes) () 10/22/2012 postreply 14:15:22

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”