Affirmative action is over, but college is questionable

來源: elfie 2023-06-29 14:34:53 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1257 bytes)

My husband said he didn't want to invest on kids' college education at all.

Bad investment, he said, it doesn't guarantee higher income anymore.

Trade school is the new trend, and pension fund investment.

His portforlio includes college funds, I know it. Now he has totally lost confidence

on getting returns, because there's AI now. Maybe most of the jobs that seem profitable now

will be gone, for example, computer programming, engineering, medical, law, they all

can be replaced by AI in the future. And my children are still very young. 

Who knows whether it's still worthwhile to go to college in like 14 years?  Be a plumber, electrician or carpenter,  those are guaranteed middle income jobs in the market. You always need to find someone to fix toilet bowls and there are always houses need to be built by carpenters, electricians and welders too.

I think my 11 year old daughter should consider going to college, but my currently 8 and 5 year old boys, maybe they could be spared from it. They can get a trade, they're boys after all. Boys are labor intense to parents and they should work more labor intense jobs.

所有跟帖: 

同事一個孩子當海軍陸戰隊去了,另一個說要學音樂。。老美真的隨便讓他們去啊。 -borisg- 給 borisg 發送悄悄話 borisg 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 14:37:25

隨便,可能隻是你看到的結果而已。華裔孩子也有學音樂的啊,當兵的肯定也有,隻不過不會來紫檀匯報吧 -兩女寶媽- 給 兩女寶媽 發送悄悄話 兩女寶媽 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 14:40:47

Yep, he said they should have their own choices -elfie- 給 elfie 發送悄悄話 (442 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 14:42:06

不過到那個時候大家都賺不到錢了,就自己當handyman了吧。 -逛逛東西南北- 給 逛逛東西南北 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 15:53:00

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”