This is a loaded question

First you mixed New York City and New York State. To rent or buy in NYC or NYS is a totally different story. It is even more confusion when you count into the school districts in the NYC. It is often NOT where you live. Some students travel hours to their school on the other side of the city.

Second finding an apartment in NYC is a labor-intensive short-term job. You have to deal with individual owners or RE agents. Mind you each borough (Mahattan, Queens etc.) has it own 'rule' regarding renting. Rent in Westchester, New Jersey and Nassau county is little easy, but still you must count the commute time. 1 hour is not going to cut it. Think about 1.5-2 hours one way.

Third, if you have not yet, I strongly recommend you to spend a week in NYC before moving here. You must have a feeling of the NYC or the town in NYS, and very important, you must decide how to proceed, either finding 1 by yourself, or seeking help from a RE agent. Did I mention that you will pay the agent the fee as much as 15% annual rent? Why to pay them? because they have good apartments that you don't know.

BTW, where is hubby working, low East, mid east, mid west, upper west, upper east, harlem? The location will determine the commute time.

所有跟帖: 

Very good dissertation :D -planojw- 給 planojw 發送悄悄話 planojw 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 18:56:55

好象你住紐約似的,哈哈。 -用戶名被占用了- 給 用戶名被占用了 發送悄悄話 用戶名被占用了 的博客首頁 (32 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 19:04:29

正因為偶不住,才說你好, -planojw- 給 planojw 發送悄悄話 planojw 的博客首頁 (64 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 19:07:16

it depends -用戶名被占用了- 給 用戶名被占用了 發送悄悄話 用戶名被占用了 的博客首頁 (100 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 19:11:59

over here landlord pay 1 month rent to agent. -planojw- 給 planojw 發送悄悄話 planojw 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 19:13:19

i paid 1 month only, which is considered as 'discounted' -用戶名被占用了- 給 用戶名被占用了 發送悄悄話 用戶名被占用了 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 19:17:34

some ppl here pay less -planojw- 給 planojw 發送悄悄話 planojw 的博客首頁 (24 bytes) () 03/30/2011 postreply 19:18:43

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!