灣區的同學們有福了 :-)

來源: 野生動物攝影家 2011-01-11 14:13:12 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5845 bytes)

Baristas in bikinis perk up Fremont coffee business

FREMONT -- There are plenty of coffee shops in Fremont, but those with pretty young women working in bikinis are hard to find.

That combination is "a gold mine," said Robert Martinez, a formerly out-of-work general contractor who, desperate to help pay his sons' college bills, has opened Your Coffee Cups -- the Bay Area's first bikini barista drive-through coffee business.

The establishment, in a Warm Springs district strip mall, serves Mr. Espresso coffee in a 16-ounce "C-Cup" for $1.85.

But the real draw may be the view that comes with each purchase, evidenced by the fact that all 22 drive-through customers during a one-hour stretch Thursday morning were men.

"I'm spoiled," said Ken Lockett, a burly Fremont machinist, just before a barista wearing little more than a bikini top and short shorts asked him, "Is your coffee good?"

"It's always good," Lockett replied smiling, before leaving a tip.

Business has been pretty good since Martinez opened the climate-controlled coffee hut at 46685 Mission Blvd.

By the second week, Your Coffee Cups had doubled the revenue of its predecessor, Island Java, said Martinez, who knows the owner of that shop.

And say what you will about the customers, they are good tippers. The baristas say they make an average of $50 in tips during a four-hour shift -- on top of their $9-per-hour salary.

"I have more time for myself," said Samantha Dela Cruz, a 21-year-old San Jose State student, who takes home more in four hours at the coffee shop than she did working eight hours a day at a Lowe's home-improvement store.

Drive-through coffee shops with bikini-clad servers have become popular in the Pacific Northwest, the land that gave the world Starbucks.

Martinez, whose friend had opened a shop in Oregon, decided to travel to Seattle earlier this year with his fiancee, Irene Mann, to get a firsthand look at the growing fad.

"They were doing good business," he said. "I thought, why not do it here? I hadn't worked in more than a year. I needed to reinvent myself."

Martinez drives to the shop from his Castro Valley home every weekday before 5:30 a.m. to brew the first cup of coffee before retreating to his nearby truck where he spends most of the day with an eye on the shop.

He's hoping to open three more bikini barista establishments in the next two years and, although his first shop is just breaking even, he thinks each of them can eventually net $10,000 to $15,000 a month.

"It's going to literally go through the roof," he said.

The shops have encountered some issues in the Northwest. There have been news reports of baristas flashing customers for bigger tips and customers exposing themselves to baristas.

Martinez and the baristas said none of that has happened at the Fremont shop, which has cameras on the baristas and the drivers.

"They say 'Hi,' they get their coffee, and they're gone," barista Rosanna Ortiz said. "They don't make you feel like a stripper."

"It's just like going to the beach," Dela Cruz said. "It's no big deal. We're not putting ourselves out there."

A few unwitting female customers have voiced their displeasure with the bikini gimmick, a couple of whom decided to take their business elsewhere, said barista Natasha Berg, who studies English at San Francisco State.

But there is a way to offset the opposition being voiced by some of the women, she said.

"You have to talk to (them) a little more so they see you're not an idiot in a bikini."

Contact Matthew Artz at 510-353-7002 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              510-353-7002      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. For more Fremont news, read his blog at www.ibabuzz.com/tricitybeat.

Photo caption 1: Rosanna Ortiz, of Union City, serves up a cup of coffee through the window of the "Your Coffee Cups" drive up coffee stand, in Fremont, Calif., on Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. The business is good at the small coffee stand where the barista uniform is a bikini, so good that the owners are planning to open another location.(Anda Chu / Bay Area News Group)

Photo caption 2: Samantha Dela Cruz, of San Jose, hands a cup of coffee to customer Joan Watkins, of Fremont, through the window of the "Your Coffee Cups" drive up coffee stand, in Fremont, Calif., on Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010. (Anda Chu/Bay Area News Group)

所有跟帖: 

美國男人真的可憐! -紅都故人- 給 紅都故人 發送悄悄話 紅都故人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:42:41

紅都這句話有深意。。。 -chineseachilles- 給 chineseachilles 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:49:28

兩個MM好像一般哪,要在國內,肯定革更火一些 -chineseachilles- 給 chineseachilles 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:47:58

灣區同學們眼福不淺 -野生動物攝影家- 給 野生動物攝影家 發送悄悄話 野生動物攝影家 的博客首頁 (41 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:48:48

否2否3又要酸了. :-) -閑豬手- 給 閑豬手 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:57:15

紅總,快開過來吧.不過上回不是約了在北京和那什麽走著走著就丟了 -999朵玫瑰- 給 999朵玫瑰 發送悄悄話 999朵玫瑰 的博客首頁 (58 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:57:29

健康 -wadcChinese- 給 wadcChinese 發送悄悄話 wadcChinese 的博客首頁 (336 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 13:49:30

咖啡西施 -周啟生- 給 周啟生 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 14:14:39

這生意冬天會怎樣呢? -fengjin09- 給 fengjin09 發送悄悄話 fengjin09 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 14:16:46

LOL, didnt another coffee place try that a couple of years ago? -panzerkom- 給 panzerkom 發送悄悄話 panzerkom 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 14:44:37

現在穿成那樣太冷了吧。照片都沒把人照全。 -ask!- 給 ask! 發送悄悄話 ask! 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/11/2011 postreply 16:43:58

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”