Judy Collins - Send In The Clowns

來源: bbpearl 2019-12-05 21:09:39 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (13654 bytes)

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meaning-of-the-song-Send-in-the-Clowns

1. Isn't it rich?

Are we a pair?

Me here at last on the ground,

You in mid-air,

Where are the clowns?

She’s singing to the love of her life who isn’t wanting to take them seriously. In the past she’s always been the aloof one, but now he’s the one floating around. She thinks it’s all got to be a joke and is waiting for the clowns to appear any moment

Isn't it bliss?

Don't you approve?

One who keeps tearing around,

One who can't move,

Where are the clowns?

There ought to be clowns?

She finally sees that all she ever wanted was him but he doesn’t get it. He’s a mess all over the place and she knows she’s a fool for him but she can’t bting herself to move on. Again she thinks they’re all fools.

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,

Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours

Making my entrance again with my usual flair

Sure of my lines

No one is there

She has always been aloof and nonconmital and the life of the party. She always knew what to say and got all the attention but now she finally wants him but it’s too late. He’s moved on or has someone else and she’s left alone with memories of them and regret for not seeing it in time

Don't you love farce?

My fault, I fear

I thought that you'd want what I want

Sorry, my dear!

But where are the clowns

Send in the clowns

Don't bother, they're here

It’s still funny though, and her fault. She recognizes that because she didn’t appreciate him that she lost him, but she’s shocked she’s willing to give all of herself to someone and they don’t want her. He’s as much a fool as she. Now clowns needed since they’re clowns too.

Isn't it rich?

Isn't it queer?

Losing my timing this late in my career

But where are the clowns?

There ought to be clowns

Well, maybe next year

Then she’s like bitter and dumbfounded that after all these years she’d always thought he’d always be there waiting for her and when she was ready to settle down, he was her plan all along, she just hadn’t realized it and now she sees her plan was no good. She’s alone but she still has hope that someday he’ll want her or she’ll find someone that does.

2. Send in the Clowns is probably the most popular song written by Stephen Sondheim. It has been recorded hundreds of time.

To understand its meaning, it’s best to see a full performance of the source - the play A Little Night Music. The song comes near the end of the second act, sung by the character Desiree. Desiree had had an affair, many years before, with Frederik. After many years, they’ve met one another again. He is in a loveless marriage with a much younger woman. Desiree offers to marry to rescue him from his loveless marriage and he turns her down. She then sings Send in the Clowns.

In this case, “clowns” is used as a synonym for fools. It’s a song of regret, reflection and, even, anger. Rather than a weepy or sentimental song, it is a sung by an older, experienced woman reflecting on the mistakes she’s made in her life. Perhaps, the song suggests, it’s time to end the charade of seriousness and simply accept that love makes all of us fools in the end. It’s about the way in which even our maturity does not save us from heartbreak.

The original Broadway recording sung by Glynis Johns remains, for me, the definitive version. It’ll break your heart.

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]