A Bad Lesson...

I live in WA, as a green card holder and waiting for citizenship approval. Wife married in China and she came to US as my dependent, but she is a US citizen already.

In a night 3 weeks ago, my wife and I argued about how to educate children. She didn't agree to me but turning her anger to my son. At 9:20PM, she still wanted to talk to my son and didn't let him sleep. I tried to push her out off my son's room but failed. I said I would call someone for help. I guess she thought I would call 911, so she ran to the phone and dialed 911 first. I was very scared and upset, so I disconnected the phone line. That made her crazy. She ran back to the bedroom and screaming. I was afraid she would do anything to the kids, so I caught up with her and held her with my arms. While she was trying to get rid off me, we both fell down on the floor and I scratched my elbow. She ran to my neighbor's house.

Then police came, and asked me what happened. I was scared and upset, and couldn't explain clearly all the details, but just said we argued how to educate kids and I tried to get my wife out of the door. One police asked "then you knocked her down?" I said "yes". (That was a BIG mistake!)

I was handcuffed and put into jail for the night. Released from jail after an arrainment next day, but was given a "NO CONTACT" order. The procecutor is accussing me:
1. Assult 4th Degree (Washington definition)
2. Interfere with 911 call.
3. A potential accuse is Abuse Children as I pushed my wife in front of my son (though I was trying to protect my son)
The prosecutor is seeking sentencing me 30 days in jail, with 24 months probation, and no fire arm (this is OK and I don't want a fire arm anyway).

I interviewed 4 criminal attorneys. Nobody could guarranty anything outcome. Each required me pay full upfront. I choose one of them. I am working together now.

My questions are:
1. Anyone has similar experience in WA?
2. What possible outcome there maybe?
3. If I have to go to jail for 30 days, can I choose a time to go?
4. How safe is it in the jail? Is there abuse among the prisoners?
5. What's the implication to my immigration status?
6. How much the judge would consider the cultural difference?

Thank you all friends here. I am in the most difficult time now (very sad while not able to be with kids during Christmas. I guess now they know it's Daddy who played Santa every year.) Any suggestion, comments, or ideas would be appreciated.

Also want to share some sincere words with friends here:
1. The matality of police here is DIFFERENT from China. Don't think they would mediate as in China when you call 110. Responsibility of police here is to get someone into a case.
2. If unfortunately something happens to you, DON'T talk to police but only ask to talk to an attorney.
3. DON'T use 911 to threat your spouse. If you want to divorce, you should talk and go through the normal divorce process. No need to do things like this. It's a especially stupid idea (as we can see, in many cases) to call 911 just to give your spouse a lesson or to threat him/her. It costs TOO MUCH, not only for your spouse, but eventually for YOURSELF.

Hope everyone value what you have today and take care of your nice family.

所有跟帖: 

深表同情。唉!你是個有愛心負責任的好爸爸。你可以把事情的真實經過、你當時的 -美國賢妻良母- 給 美國賢妻良母 發送悄悄話 美國賢妻良母 的博客首頁 (336 bytes) () 12/27/2007 postreply 01:59:57

Thank you for your 同情 and prayer -confucious- 給 confucious 發送悄悄話 (249 bytes) () 12/27/2007 postreply 10:33:27

願你的孩子健康成長。 -美國賢妻良母- 給 美國賢妻良母 發送悄悄話 美國賢妻良母 的博客首頁 (740 bytes) () 12/28/2007 postreply 11:24:28

回複:A Bad Lesson... -abc9981- 給 abc9981 發送悄悄話 (202 bytes) () 12/30/2007 postreply 11:22:59

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!