回複:To: 68156

來源: 68156 2005-12-26 15:39:17 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3387 bytes)
I also said, twice, that I am not disputing that everybody should get enough insurance coverage and for trivial matter, such as a bumper scratch by the shopping cart or something, you should go for insurance first before resorting to the legal system. That being said, however, who can answer the question, how much is too much? $100? $500K? Does it make sense to insure $1m for a $15000 car? Let's say $1m is good enough, here are some examples that it is not:

1. 1999, plaintiff Estevaz's car collided with the defendant' postal truck, resulting in a slightly shorten leg of Estevaz' son,Joseph, 16 years old at the time. The accident was the truck drive's fault and he was found negligent in court. However damage? While , the court awarded $220815 for future medical expenses from 16 to 72, the normal life expectancy. The court actually used 67.5 year to calculat Joseph's life expectancy and I will explain. $750000 for pain and suffering for 51.5 years (67.5-16). That's not all. Because Joseph was disabled, the court decided that his life expectancy could be shortened by 6.67 years, based on expert opinions, and awarded Joseph $432887, based on average salary of $64610 multiplied by 6.7 years. Court also concluded that disabled person would earn less than normal people, about $10000, per year, based on expert opinions and awarded Joseph $10000 multiplied how many years Joseph would be in work force. The combined total is $1993902 and reduced to $1511052 upon appeal. Was that $1m car insurance enough to cover?

2. 1998, a guy in New Jersey drank 6 beers and got disoriented and exited the Giant Stadium during the third quarter of the Giant's game. While driving home, his truck collided with another car, resulting in the girl's injury in the other car. The girl, 2 years old, then, was completely paralyzed from neck down. The damage? The jury awarded $271m for the plaintiff. Of course, the concession company in the Giant Stadium was the co-defendant in the suit but that is not the point. Was that $1m enough to cover? Can you insure $271m for a $15000 car? How much is the premium? Does it make sense?

You may say, while, these cases are too extreme. Then, do you know how many people died of car accident each year in the US? Who can guarantee these things would not happen?

For personal injuries like such, you are guaranteed that a lawsuit is forthcoming and you have to know the law and your rights. If you are dealing with patents you should know that you write up a patent, not only for filing, but in the very same way that you have to defend it in court someday. Here is the same thing. You may have enough insurance but other people could sue you in court. Your insurance company might also sue you in court because of your own fault, I am talking about insurance in general, not only car insurance. Like I told before, my coworker was not at fault at all when his car was hit by another driver. He was adjudged to be responsible for $500K and of course his own insurance would not cover.
Another example:
1980, A child named Mathew accidentally burned his brother's garage while operating a grass mower. The insurance company, Indiana Consolidated Insurance, insteading of paying mathew' brother, sued Mathew in court for negligence, although Mathew eventually won the case.
請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”