death, divorce, life insurance, etc

來源: wondering2006 2010-08-23 14:55:47 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2399 bytes)
My friend ran into a very difficult situation. I am here to get some advices for her.

She and her hu*****and had been separated for 8 years after divorce filing. But they didn’t do anything except child support/visitation. They didn’t have legal separation filing either. There is such legal separation term, right?

More than two years ago she tried to finalize divorce, but her hu*****and kept delaying till a few month ago. Right before final, he said he was found cancer and begged her to cover his medical insurance. My friend was very soft and covered him right away. Then he got surgery immediately. They were very close during this time. She encouraged him to fight with cancer.

A few weeks ago, his cancer was back, he doesn’t think he has much time left. He also got his own medical insurance too. Now he asked her to divorce. His purpose is of course to protect his property and life insurance. My friend doesn’t know who is the beneficiary on his life insurance at all. She guess it must be his parents. My friend at least wants the benefits for their young kid.

What is the result he dies before divorce?

What is the result he dies after divorce?

How to define the properties he earned after separation? They have never filed legal separation. Is my friend entitled to it if he dies before divorce? At least he owed her the community properties before separation.

What if he leaves all properties and life insurance to his parents? He didn’t care much to their kid at all.

He is very mean by asking her to cover his medical insurance and then asking for divorce while dying. Will court consider it to split property if there have to be a fight between his parents and her?

What is the best way for him or anybody in this situation to do if he is wise enough to avoid the financial loss for the alive family? He has a big amount of properties and life insurance. To my knowledge, the best way is to leave everything to spouse to avoid tax, etc? right?

My friend wants to revalue the whole picture for herself, kid and his parents. She doesn’t care which names his properties and life insurance go, but doesn’t want the fact if they goes to Uncle SAM or attorneys. She doesn’t dare to discuss this topic with him at all since he would think she is greedy.

This is in California. Thanks for the advice!

所有跟帖: 

回複:death, divorce, life insurance, etc -apt- 給 apt 發送悄悄話 (267 bytes) () 08/23/2010 postreply 16:53:06

Your friend really needs to talk to an estate planning -N.- 給 N. 發送悄悄話 N. 的博客首頁 (160 bytes) () 08/23/2010 postreply 20:48:03

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”