This happened more often than you think

I got my SSN in 1994, and they put 1994 as my birth year. So, I was only 11 years old in their database.

You may never find out until you have problems. Before 9/11, nobody really checked SSN so it had not been a problem for me. Luckily when the congress passed the law offering free credit reports each year, I was asked to mail in a copy of my driver's license to prove my DOB to the credit bureaus when I requested the reports. I pressed them what other DOBs they had on file they would not tell. So, I started to call all agencies, insurance companies and finally, the social security agency. They said the DOB on file was different from what I told them on the phone, and would not tell me what was on file. I was told to make an appointment with local SSA office and bring the proof of my DOB. I took passport with me but they wouldn't accept it and insisted on birth certificate.

When I was back with my birth certificate they hardly look at it, instead, they pull data from INS and told me INS' data matched what I claimed and I was in legal status, thus elligible for SSN and thus entitle to correct the error. So, it's like a catch-22 situation. It looked funny to me that if you were out of status, you could not even correct any errors. I don't know what good can come out of it for them as you can't track back the the person from the database with wrong DOB. Anyway, they didn't explain how the error happened, but on my way out, I said, "just curious, what was the DOB in the database before?". I was told it was 1994. I wish I were born in 1994.

Fortunately, I was able to fix all above after 140 approval and before 485 review. So, it did not affect my name check. However, in retrospect, it was a close call.

PS.
Later, when I switched job, my new employer told me one of the credit check turned out there was a big fraud flag on my file. From credit buearun and potential employer's point of view, it looks like I was trying to use some 11-12 year old's SSN to gain employment. Obviously, correcting SSN's record did nothing to correct their file as those files were compiled and updated periodically. The law requires the employers to notify the applicants if the credit files affects their hiring decisions. However, if the employer have suspicious on the credit file and choose not to follow up, it could reject you but stating other reasons for the rejection.

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!