similar situation

My situation: My mom came 5-6 years ago, extended the legal stay once and stayed for 9 months. Now I am getting married, my parents were rejected the first time, then I wrote letter and my fiancé (citizen) wrote letter to explain why they will not stay long and why my mom extended her stay last time. My dad got it at the second interview but my mom was rejected again. We asked some congressmen to write to Shanghai embassy and to ask about our case. Then my mom got it and was told that they had decided to give her the visa before she interviewed, if there was no big problem.

Here is my suggestion:

A). feel angry but keep polite. What the hell, I am getting married and my parents cannot come. Any American will be outraged if this happens to them. My parents wrote a letter to embassy to claim that their human right to attend their daughter’s wedding is violated. So, I think your parents should present themselves strong but not intimidated. I heard a lot of cases that the interviewees appeared to be strong, even rude or angry and then they got it. Stay strong and straight forward means that you have nothing to hide. To be honest, I almost wanted to indicate in my letter that if it was this difficult for them to get visa, I would like to consider applying green card for them. I didn’t do it and I am not suggesting you do that.

B) Write and state the reason that why your parents stayed long last time and why they won’t this time. The last extension is approved by INS, meaning they are allowed to stay longer because all sorts of situations. Things are not always perfect as you plan; there are always reasons and excuses. There are always situations that don’t go as well as you expect. So, why cannot they stay longer? The fact they went back means that they didn’t want to stay forever. Bring the INS approval from last time and feel strong and even explain to the visa officer that why they stay long.

C) Very important, ask a congressman or senate to contact American embassy in China on the behalf of you. I think this is why my mom got it finally. The conversation between Americans is more equal and thorough. The congressmen will ask about the reason your parents stay longer and if they have the documents to show their strong tie to China, like apartment ownership, medical insurance and social benefits, etc. Bring those proves that they have a strong tie with China.

Good luck

所有跟帖: 

Thank you so much! I will try. -kgmom- 給 kgmom 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 03/03/2006 postreply 07:47:55

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!