雨果對火燒圓明園的評價 (中英文)BY 總是重名

Victor Hugo, 1802---1885, was a celebrated French literary giant. After the British and French invaders had burnt the Winter Palace in November, 1861, he wrote a reply to a lieutenant named Bartlette(?), denouncing indignantly the Allied atrocities. An extract of the letter follows.
雨果(1802—1885)是法國著名文豪。在英法侵略者縱火焚毀我國圓明園以後,1861年11月,他曾複信給一個名叫巴特勒的上尉,怒斥這樁醜行。下麵是他複信的摘要。
“Sir, you ask me what I think of the expedition to China. You must feel that it was praiseworthy, well done. You are very polite, putting a high premium upon my feelings. In your opinion, the expedition, performed under the joint banner of Queen Victoria and Emperor Napoleon, was nothing short of a British-French glory. Therefore, you would like to know to what extent I appreciate this glory.”
先生,您問我對這次遠征中國的看法,您覺得這次遠征值得稱譽,幹得漂亮,而且您很客氣,相當重視我的感想。按照您的高見,這次在維多利亞女王和拿破侖皇帝的雙重旗幟下對中國的遠征,是英法兩國的光榮;您想知道我對英法兩國的這一勝利究竟讚賞到何等程度。

Since you ask, I will answer as follows:
既然您想知道我的看法,那麽我答複如下:

In a corner of the world there existed a man-made miracle --- the Winter Palace. Art has two sources: one, an ideal, whence has come European art; two, fancy, whence has issued Oriental art. The Winter Palace belongs in the art of fancy. The Winter Palace, indeed, was the crystalisation of all of the art that an almost superman race could have fancied. The Winter Palace was a hugescale prototype of fancy if fancy can have a prototype. If only you can imagine an ineffable architectural structure, like a palace in the moon, a fairyland, that is the Winter Palace. If you can imagine a treasure-island, a pool of human perceptive power, expressed in the concrete form of palaces and temples, that is the Winter Palace. It took two generations of manpower to create the Winter Palace, which subsequently went through improvement and perfection over several centuries. For whom was the Winter Palace built, after all? Eventually, for the people. Because as time passes by, all that the people has made remains in the possession of mankind. Great artists, poets, philosophers --- they all knew about the Winter Palace. Voltaire (Francois Marie Arouet)once talked about it. Many people at different times compared the Winter Palace to the Parthenon, the Pyramids, the Arena, the Notre Dame. If they could not see the Winter Palace with their own eyes, they could dream about it --- as if in the gloaming they saw a breath-taking masterpiece of art as they had never known before --- as if there above the horizon of European civilization was towering the silhouette of Asian civilization.
在世界的一隅,存在著人類的一大奇跡,這個奇跡就是圓明園。藝術有兩種淵源:一為理念——從中產生歐洲藝術;一為幻想——從中產生東方藝術。圓明園屬於幻想藝術。一個近乎超人的民族所能幻想到的一切都薈集於圓明園。圓明園是規模巨大的幻想的原型,如果幻想也可能有原型的話。隻要想象出一種無法描繪的建築物,一種如同月宮似的仙境,那就是圓明園。假定有一座集人類想象力之大成的寶島,以宮殿廟宇的形象出現,那就是圓明園。為了建造圓明園,人們經曆了兩代人的長期勞動。後來又經過幾世紀的營造,究竟是為誰而建的呢?為人民。因為時光的流逝會使一切都屬於全人類所有。藝術大師、詩人、哲學家,他們都知道圓明園。伏爾泰亦曾談到過它。人們一向把希臘的巴特農神廟、埃及的金字塔、羅馬的競技場、巴黎的聖母院和東方的圓明園相提並論。如果不能親眼目睹圓明園,人們就在夢中看到它。它仿佛在遙遠的蒼茫暮色中隱約眺見的一件前所未知的驚人傑作,宛如亞洲文明的輪廓崛起在歐洲文明的地平線上一樣。

Now, the miracle is no more! One day, two pirates broke into it. One of them went plundering; the other set every building and everything in it all abaze! Judging by what they did, we know that the victors could degenerate into robbers. The two of them fell to dividing between themselves the spoils. What meritorious feats they had done! What a heaven-sent bonanza! One stuffed his pockets full to overflowing; the other filled in his trunck chockfull. Then, hand in hand they made off, guffawing gloatingly. This episode reflects the history of the two brigands.
這一奇跡現已蕩然無存。有一天,兩個強盜闖進了圓明園。一個強盜大肆掠劫,另一個強盜縱火焚燒。從他們的行為來看,勝利者也可能是強盜。一場對圓明園的空前洗劫開始了,兩個征服者平分贓物。真是豐功偉績,天賜的橫財!兩個勝利者一個裝滿了他的口袋,另一個看見了,就塞滿了他的箱子。然後,他們手挽著手,哈哈大笑著回到了歐洲。這就是這兩個強盜的曆史。

Standing before the tribunal of history is one brigand named France and the other named Great Britain. Against both I protest. Incidentally, I must thank you for giving me the opportunity to make this accusation. The rulers commit crimes but the ruled do not. The government becomes a robber, but the people will never.
在曆史麵前,這兩個強盜一個叫法國,另一個叫英國。對他們我要提出抗議,並且謝謝您給了我抗議的機會。統治者犯下的罪行同被統治者是不相幹的;政府有時會是強盜,可是人民永遠不會。

France has gained a large portion of the spoils. Now, quite naively, she thinks herself the rightful owner of the property, and she is displaying the riches of the Winter Palace! I can only hope that there will come one day when France will di*****urden herself of the heavy load on her conscience and cleanse herself of the crime by returning to China all the spoils taken from the Winter Palace.
法蘭西帝國從這次勝利中獲得了一半贓物,現在它又天真得仿佛自己就是真正的物主似的,將圓明園輝煌的掠奪物拿出來展覽。我渴望有朝一日法國能擺脫重負,清洗罪惡,把這些財富歸還被劫掠的中國。

Sir, such is my eulogy of the expedition to China.
先生,這就是我對遠征中國的讚賞。

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!