Under the Milky Way 21: From Astorga to Foncebadon - Walk Again!

來源: 1000_li_xing 2024-04-14 17:46:17 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (23720 bytes)

June 18, Sunday, Day 21. I began to walk again today, couldn’t help feeling excited. Back to the new-formed routine on the Way. Walking from Astorga to Foncebadon - 25.9 km. I read about this village being at the highest point on the Camino Frances, about 1,430 m (4,690 ft).

The trail map showed that there would be segments of uphills today. I must prepare well – hiking shoes, hiking sandals, hiking socks, and extra layers of petroleum jelly, in addition to extra layers of knee protection, water, extra coats of sun-protection, transporting the luggage, double checking my trekking poles…

This quiet morning on the Way began with beautiful flowers, and a familiar Camino melody that I picked up a few days before. Out of nowhere came a few pilgrims, approached us from the other side of the street as we were exiting the town. The melody brought back memories from a few nights before when a few of us pilgrims learned it from the church ministers in Tosantos! I sang along with them and walked out of town.  

It was almost time to use the rocks brought from home. For those who hadn’t brought any, some were provided along the Way, and, of course, some donations would be greatly appreciated. Additional items were there, on a donation basis. No one was tending the station at the time.

After a few straight trails, we were close to a village. Just when I was about to enter the village, I ran into the young man from Germany whom I met in Day 2 of my walk! Wow, it seemed to have been a while, Seb. We sat together, ate our breakfast and caught up a bit. This IT genius from a German university came to the Camino to revive the energy he used to have, to clear his mind, to rethink of his future, and to enjoy life during a break from his work. The conversation went wherever our minds landed at the moment, no theme, no focus, no worries. How simple life was! How simple human relationship was!  

Another roadside station for Camino knick-knacks. The countdown milestones did wonders to us. Closer to the destination!  

As I walked, I came to a wired fence, with many handmade crosses by the passers-by impromptu. I read about this online – the crosses here were made by those who wanted to send additional wishes for someone special – a special prayer, an additional loving kind thought, a wish for magic to happen… I slowed down my steps, laid down my backpack and trekking poles, and began to meditate, to wish – for blessings, for peace, to health and joy – for you, you, and you. Please get better, please recover. I pray that you will recover in vitality, and in everything else… 

About 20 km later, I arrived at another village. See how pretty and unique the blossoms were! In less than 7 kilometers, we should arrive at today’s destination. Ready? The next section was all uphill, loose rocks…  

Quite challenging trail surfaces, indeed. I changed my socks, slipped into my hiking sandals, and continued the Way. It was certainly a delight to see the wildflowers along the way.

Arrived, Yeah!! Credit should go to my feet, legs and mental effort! And with friends’ encouragement, nature’s unconditional companionship and delight, and love from the Above, together, we made it there today!  

I was assigned an upper bunk #8 in a room of 16 people – a lucky number that I needed and loved! I climbed up there, feeling so nimble, young and quick! Haha, I must have been “Jack” transformed!!  
May tonight’s snores be gentle and minimum! Amen!!

This place was quite small. According to a blog I read, Foncebadon was a rather small village. The year-round residents here were aout 13. Once upon a time, there was only one (1)! This place was set so that pilgrims would have a place to stay. Thank goodness there was this place. Imagine that I had to walk another 20-30 kilometers to find a bed!! 

There was certainly no place for grocery shopping. The pilgrims were asked to dine together when reservations were made. Dinner that day – Indian food – the soup was pretty good, and the rest were ok. When hunger struck, any food tasted delicious! Red wine unlimited…

Tomorrow will be a big day for me on the Way, a very important day! I would lay down the stones from my backpack, the rocks I brought from home, and had been carrying with me all these miles! I would also lay down my mental burden that I had been bearing all these years. What would life be like once I unload, I wondered?
Back on the Way after sleeping, 
Praying all Gods and Heavens for blessings…  

Key words:
Pray for Blessings  

更多我的博客文章>>>
請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標