Society, a democracy, can die of too many lies

來源: bymyheart 2019-11-11 04:40:34 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4501 bytes)

POLITICS

11/11/2019 12:26 AM EST

Legendary Journalist Bill Moyers Says He Fears For The Nation For The First Time In His Life

"Society, a democracy, can die of too many lies — and we’re getting close to that terminal moment," he warns.

Respected journalist Bill Moyers said Sunday that for the first time “in my long life” — including the Depression and World War II — he fears for the nation’s survival.

A “society, a democracy, can die of too many lies — and we’re getting close to that terminal moment unless we reverse the obsession with lies that are being fed around the country,” Moyers told Brian Stelter on CNN.

Hope lies in citizens paying careful attention to the televised impeachment hearings beginning this week on Wednesday and Friday in the House, noted Moyers, who served for two years as Lyndon Johnson’s press secretary. He has urged PBS to re-air the hearings during primetime so that they more easily be seen by working people.

“Do facts matter anymore?” Moyers asked, referring to the impeachment investigation. “I think they do. I think they mattered in the Watergate hearings, in the Clinton hearings, and I think they’ll matter this time, too.”

He referred to Trump’s “astonishing” response from the crowd at a campaign rally last month in Louisiana.

“They believed everything he said,” Moyers noted. “I’m hoping only 10% of those people watch the hearings ... They will see it is not a witch hunt, and they will begin to doubt their master. And they will begin to break off and maybe become a citizen again.”

Moyers believes Trump still has a “pretty good” chance of winning the 2020 election, but that only a “slight shift” in people who “begin to doubt” could make a significant difference.

Check out Moyers’ remarks in the clip above.

所有跟帖: 

德國曆史上第一次民主嚐試 --- 魏瑪共和國 --- 之“死”,謊言就是因素之一。民主體製自身也需要不斷自我更新完善。柏林牆倒塌 -papyrus- 給 papyrus 發送悄悄話 (244 bytes) () 11/11/2019 postreply 07:45:32

心姐,民主製度不完美,它有自我修複的能力。如同我們個人,每日三省吾身和死不悔改是兩個性質。 -核桃小丸子- 給 核桃小丸子 發送悄悄話 核桃小丸子 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2019 postreply 14:07:09

要避免的危險是走入民族主義歧途,這是周圍幾乎所有人的共識 -papyrus- 給 papyrus 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2019 postreply 14:56:34

看你叫心姐,是心君麽?那可是老友了。10年沒上來,總感覺似曾相識,但想不起細節了,徹底癡呆了:( -yymimmo.- 給 yymimmo. 發送悄悄話 yymimmo. 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2019 postreply 15:54:49

是的,老人叫她心君,我新人,為了套近乎,叫姐:) -核桃小丸子- 給 核桃小丸子 發送悄悄話 核桃小丸子 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2019 postreply 17:12:42

心君是老友。隔著長長的樓梯,遠遠地問一聲老朋友好~~~ -yymimmo.- 給 yymimmo. 發送悄悄話 yymimmo. 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/11/2019 postreply 19:29:01

問好歪歪熊!好幾隻熊在這哪,有時就混淆了不敢冒昧打招呼.你別來無恙?謝謝記得我. -bymyheart- 給 bymyheart 發送悄悄話 bymyheart 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/12/2019 postreply 05:47:18

從數學上講,你這個claim是錯誤的。 -衡山老道- 給 衡山老道 發送悄悄話 衡山老道 的博客首頁 (263 bytes) () 11/13/2019 postreply 15:21:09

問好古紙兄,小丸子謝謝討論.我也是看著新聞有很多擔心和憂慮.時間將告訴我們一切. -bymyheart- 給 bymyheart 發送悄悄話 bymyheart 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/12/2019 postreply 05:44:16

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!