Go to the north pole to see the northern light

來源: chengxing 2005-12-16 15:25:11 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5292 bytes)
I was there on Christmas time two years ago. But I was not lucky enough since the train I took was late and arrived at midnight, 10 hr later than the schedule. By then it was too late to go anywhere to see anything. I left the next day because I have to catch my flight back home. I did take sometime the next morning in the local shops to see photos on northern lights, truly amazing. It will be fun to spend Christmas time at the northern countryside of Sweden, staying in a warm house, taking dog- sledge, watch stars and the northern light. I asked the locals there and was told they can see the light every night. Some are ordinary, if you are lucky, you will see some amazing sceneries.
I did my trip to Sweden on Christmas only for the northern light. I did not step out Zurich airport when flied back from a one-week trip to southern Turkey. I instead made my transfer directly to Stockholm, Sweden. The first thing I planned in the city of Stockholm was trying to find out to where I will be able to see Northern light, should be someplace close to north pole. I was totally disappointed by the girls working in the central tourist office. When she heard my question, she looked innocent, "It is very cold there, what will you do there? It is countryside, nothing to see". Obvious she is a city girl, she has never been there and I don't think she will have any plan to go there in the near future. The problem is that I want to know exact the place to go to be sure that I will be able to catch the scene. She was trying to help by asking another girl in the office. Actually it seemed that nobody in that office has interest in northern light, so they cannot tell me the details for where to go. They were trying to comfort me by saying that the weather seemed not good at the north; you may not see anything even you got there. "I may not see the lights if the weather is not good" I asked. "Sure, especially like the days now" she answered. I thought a few minutes, and then decided to give it up. First of all, I am not sure where to go, secondly, even I am there, and I may see nothing since the weather is not good. According to my guide book, the northern pole in Norway is guaranteed for the scene. I decided to go to Norway.
Norway is even colder and extremely expensive, more expensive than Switzerland. I spend a day or so in Oslo, then a day or so in Began. I was still hesitate if I should head to the North Pole, which will be a long way to go and quite complicated. I have enough time to reach there, but I am not sure if I have enough time to catch my flight back home. When I met a happy Austrian girl in Began who told me she just came from Kiruna in Sweden and had seen beautiful northern lights, every night for her three days’ stay there. "I am leaving" I decided right away and left for Sweden. On my way back to Stockholm, I stopped at Gothenburg, a beautiful city full of life and took a night train directly from Gothenburg to Kiruna. I stayed in a three-bed cabin, but I was the only one in the compartment that night. It was very comfort and I had a good sleep. I woke up the next morning by feeling that the train was not moving. Then I heard announcement that there was something wrong with the engine, the crew was trying to fix it and waiting for a coming train to bring the spare parts at the same time. It was breakfast time, I wanted a coffee, so I went to the dining car and asked something hot to drink. "Sorry, we have no power; we cannot offer you anything hot". "Eh". I have no choice but came back to my cabin and tried to sleep. The heating was out, so I kept my door closed and covered myself with the blankets, but opened the curtain. What do I see from the outside, nothing but white snow, pure white, nothing else. It was middle of somewhere no where.
The speaker was keeping giving the most advanced news about the power failure. Finally, 6 h later, it was repaired, the train moved slowly to ahead. It was moving really slow, probably not fully in function. 2 h later, it finally made to a small station and everyone was told to change transport to bus to continue the trip to Kiruna. Many buses were waiting outside the train station, everybody were out the train to find his/her bus. It was already dark and the road to Kiruna was very easy, because the buses have to climb up and down the mountain roads. When we were in Kiruna, it was already midnight. Checked in the hotel, had a piece of pizza, took a hot shower, even I still have something about northern lights in my mind and even I know I missed the chance and I have to leave Kiruna tomorrow morning, I have no choice but went to bed. I was disappointed, very much, but if it is God's will, I can only accept it.
The next morning, I went to the city center and enjoyed the amazing photos on northern light in gift shops. I cannot promise myself that I will come again; I will leave a dream in my mind for the next time.
When reaching the train station, I met a group of Chinese, girls and boys, coming from Stockholm. "Join us, we will stay for 3 days" they invited me. I am speechless. Looked their happy face, I cannot tell if I feel disappointed or I feel jealous about them. I wish they have a nice stay in Kiruna and lots of fun.

所有跟帖: 

Alaska is good for northern light -Aleyaska- 給 Aleyaska 發送悄悄話 (117 bytes) () 12/16/2005 postreply 16:06:24

Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind! -chengxing- 給 chengxing 發送悄悄話 chengxing 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/17/2005 postreply 04:03:41

Tips of viewing northern lights -Wunderlust- 給 Wunderlust 發送悄悄話 (1164 bytes) () 12/17/2005 postreply 11:42:30

Thanks a lot for your tips! -chengxing- 給 chengxing 發送悄悄話 chengxing 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/17/2005 postreply 12:47:29

加跟帖:

當前帖子已經過期歸檔,不能加跟帖!