民主不會在一個想成為獨裁者的人 重返白宮時幸存下來 by Robert De Niro

來源: 冬綠 2023-11-29 11:04:04 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (37578 bytes)

民主不會在一個想成為獨裁者的人

重返白宮時幸存下來

by Robert De Niro

I’ve spent a lot of time studying bad men.  I’ve examined their characteristics, their mannerisms, the utter banality of their cruelty. Yet there’s something different about Donald Trump. When I look at him, I don’t see a bad man. Truly. 

我花了很多時間研究壞人。我研究過他們的特征、舉止和他們殘忍的平庸之惡。然而,唐納德·特朗普不同尋常。當我看著他時,我看到的不是一個壞人。真的。

I see an evil one. 

我看到的是一個邪惡的人。

Over the years, I’ve met gangsters here and there. This guy tries to be one, but he can’t quite pull it off. There’s such a thing as “honor among thieves.” Yes, even criminals usually have a sense of right and wrong.  Whether they do the right thing or not is a different story — but — they have a moral code, however warped.

這些年來,我在這裏或那裏遇到過黑幫分子。這家夥試圖成為其中之一,但他無法完全勝任。有一種說法叫做盜亦有道。是的,即使是罪犯通常也有是非感。他們是否做正確的事是另一回事——但是——他們有道德準則,無論多麽扭曲。

Donald Trump does not. He’s a wannabe tough guy with no morals or ethics. No sense of right or wrong. No regard for anyone but himself — not the people he was supposed to lead and protect, not the people he does business with, not the people who follow him, blindly and loyally, not even the people who consider themselves his “friends.” He has contempt for all of them.

唐納德·特朗普則不然。他是一個想成為硬漢的人,沒有道德和倫理。沒有對錯之感。除了他自己之外,不尊重任何人——不尊重他應該領導和保護的人,不尊重與他做生意的人,不尊重盲目而忠誠地追隨他的人,甚至不尊重那些自認為是他的朋友的人。他對他們所有人都充滿蔑視。

We New Yorkers got to know him over the years that he poisoned the atmosphere and littered our city with monuments to his ego.  We knew first hand that this was someone who should never be considered for leadership.  We tried to warn the world in 2016.

多年來,我們紐約人逐漸了解他。他毒化社會氛圍,用自我陶醉的紀念物汙染我們的城市。我們親身經曆過,這個人絕不應該被考慮擔任領導職務。我們在2016年試圖警告世界。

The repercussions of his turbulent presidency divided America and rattled New York City beyond imagination.  Remember how we were jolted by crisis in early 2020, as a virus swept the world. We lived with Donald Trump’s  bombastic behavior every day on the national stage, and we suffered as we saw our neighbors piling up body bags.

他動蕩不安的總統任期分裂著美國,讓紐約市受到了無法想象的衝擊。還記得2020年初,當一種病毒席卷全球時,我們是如何被危機所震撼的嗎?與我們每天相伴的是唐納德·特朗普在國家舞台上誇誇其談。記得當看到裝著鄰居們的屍袋堆積如山時,我們所遭受的痛苦嗎?

The man who was supposed to protect this country put it in peril, because of his recklessness and impulsiveness. It was like an abusive father ruling the family by fear and violent behavior.  That was the consequence of New York’s warning getting ignored. Next time, we know it will be worse.

本應保護這個國家的人由於他的魯莽和衝動而將其置於危險之中。這就像一個以恐懼和暴力行為統治家庭的虐待父親。這就是紐約的警告被忽視的後果。下一次,我們知道情況會更糟。

Make no mistake: the twice-impeached, 4-time indicted Donald Trump is still a fool. But we can’t let our fellow Americans write him off like one. Evil thrives in the shadow of dismissive mockery, which is why we must take the danger of Donald Trump very seriously.

不要誤解:兩次被彈劾、四次被起訴的唐納德·特朗普仍然是個傻瓜。但我們不能讓我們的美國同胞把他當作一個傻瓜。邪惡在輕蔑嘲笑的陰影中茁壯。這就是為什麽我們必須非常認真地對待唐納德·特朗普的危險。

So today we issue another warning. From this place where Abraham Lincoln spoke — right here in the beating heart of New York — to the rest of America: 

This is our last chance.

因此,今天我再次發出警告。從亞伯拉罕·林肯發表講話的地方 —— 在紐約跳動的心髒—— 向美國其他地區:

這是我們的最後機會。

Democracy won’t survive the return of a wannabe dictator.

民主不會在一個想成為獨裁者的人重返白宮時幸存下來。

And it won’t overcome evil if we are divided.

如果我們分裂,邪惡將不會被戰勝。

So what do we do about it?  I know I’m preaching to the choir here.  What we’re doing today is valuable, but we have to take today into tomorrow – take it outside these walls.   We have to reach out to the half of our country who have ignored the hazards of Trump and, for whatever reason, support elevating him back into the White House.  They’re not stupid, and we must not condemn them for making a stupid choice.  Our future doesn’t just depend on us. It depends on them.

那麽我們該怎麽辦呢?我知道我正在這裏向唱詩班布道。我們今天所做的事情很有價值,但我們必須把今天帶入明天——把它帶到唱詩班的牆外。我們必須向我們國家的一半人伸出援手,他們忽視了特朗普的危險,無論出於何種原因,都支持他重新入主白宮。他們並不愚蠢,我們不能譴責他們做出了愚蠢的選擇。我們的未來不僅僅取決於我們自己,還取決於他們。

Let’s reach out to Trump’s followers with respect.  Let’s not talk about “democracy.”  

讓我們以尊重的方式接觸特朗普的追隨者。不要談論民主

“Democracy” may be our holy grail, but to others it is just a word, a concept, and in their embrace of Trump, they’ve already turned their backs on it.  Let’s talk about right and wrong.  Let’s talk about humanity.  Let’s talk about kindness.  Security for our world.  Safety for our families.  Decency.  Let’s welcome them back.  We won’t get them all, but we can get enough to end the nightmare of Trump, and fulfill the mission of this “Stop Trump Summit.

民主對我們來說可能是至高無上的聖杯,但對其他人來說,它隻是一個詞,一個概念,在他們擁護特朗普的時候,他們已經對其背離。讓我們談論對與錯。讓我們談論人性。讓我們談論善良。我們的世界的安全。我們家庭的安全。體麵。讓我們歡迎他們回來。我們不會得到他們全部,但我們可以得到足夠的人來結束特朗普噩夢。

更多我的博客文章>>>
請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”