再訪北京-第一次經曆天壇

來源: Gardenia_On_The_Bay 2012-06-15 07:01:15 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (10841 bytes)

After breakfast on Sunday, I went to the concierge for a map and advice on the best way to spend the day with the only constraint that I would have to be back for a business dinner.

The Temple of Heaven was chosen, and I was told that I could also check out the 紅橋Market nearby. I decided to use my beloved subway against the advice of a taxi ride..

On my way to the nearest subway station, the weather could best be described as SMOG. Therefore, it was quite refreshing to see the girl, decked out in a light green summer wear, in front of me..

It took only 2 bucks (RMB) to get there. I am still amazed at how cheap the fare is and how deeply the government must be subsidizing! Even the Shanghai Metro is more expensive!

There was a drizzle when I got off at the East Gate of the Temple of Heaven. As someone who dislikes any kind of precipitation, I was not about to experience the Temple of Heaven in a rain, albeit a light one :-). So I inquired about where I could buy an umbrella and was pointed to the 紅橋Market, which was cross the street only a block away from the subway station.

Off I set towards the overpass leading to the Market.

The Market seen from the overpass...

Overlooking the street standing in the middle of the overpass..

The Market was a vast collection of individual vendors hawking things from silk clothes, shoes, little gadgets to counterfeit designer bags..

Not many LV knockoffs, however, Hermes, D&G and Tod's were a common sight, and I came across only one selling knockoff Salvatore Ferragamo. Oh, there were also a lot of those Longchamp (?) nylon bags which, as I recall, I myself first learned of from a posting on LT some time ago.. I could not and still cannot understand how they could so blatantly engage in this trade, which, as far as I know, is illegal, yet they all have business licenses issued by the government. I have to admit that I did feel a sense of violation when I saw the Salvatore Ferragamo knockoff, given that I was carrying a SF bag..another common sight was the throng of seemingly foreigners bargaining with the vendors.

I bought a little floral top, and here is how it looks pairing with a white capri jeans..

No luck on finding an umbrella, though. Fortunately, the drizzle had stopped when I stepped out of the Market, so I headed towards the direction of the Temple of Heaven.

The Temple of Heaven was initially built in the 1400s and used by the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties as a sacred place to pray for good harvests. The symbology of the structure is mind boggling and amazing so much so that I think Dan Brown should perhaps consider it as the centerpiece of his next novel!

Just after the East Gate, grand pine trees solemnly lining the road to 祈年殿。。

The long corridor leading into 祈年殿...

There were people selling hand crafts such as knitted handbags along the corridor. There were also people playing cards together..

....and people playing chess with a big group of spectators..

The corridor led to one of the entrances to the court centered by 祈年殿. Quite a few people were fascinated by this red door, as I was..

This must be one of the most famous sights of China, and here, for the first time, is a picture taken with my own hands..

Symbolism example #1- the 4 big inner pillars of 祈年殿represent the four seasons..

Phoenix and dragon patterns throughout the complex..

Walking to 皇穹宇 and looking back at 祈年殿.

Looking forward to 皇穹宇.

皇穹宇.

Symbolism example #2 - like 祈年殿,皇穹宇is circular in shape, representing Heaven, and it sits on a square, representing Earth.

This is 九龍柏,an almost 600 years old live pine tree on the outer court of 皇穹宇.

The legend has it that Emperor Qianlong noticed the strikingly twisted tree trunk, and it resembled nine dragons twisting up the tree trunk, therefore, he named it 九龍柏.

It's considered good luck to have one's picture taken with the tree. I, of course, would not give up a chance to be lucky:-).

Further north is 園丘,a circular mound that was the ceremonious site for emperors to worship Heaven on winter solstice every year.

Symbolism example #3 - a lot of the repetitive elements, such as the steps of a stair, are nine or the multiples of nine. For instance, each flight of stairs has nine steps. The reference to nine is because nine represents emperors.

Now all attentions on this circular marble stone I was standing on..

In the old days, only the Emperor could stand on the stone, and that's where he had his conversation with Heaven, and no one else was allowed to be anywhere near.

Looking at 皇穹宇from 園丘.

On my way back, I could help notice that they could certainly use a better job at getting rid of weeds..

Unbelievable given this is one of the most visited sites in the Capital.

Taking the subway back, I captured this for a laugh..

The story did not quite end, though. When I got off at my final station, the rain was getting much heavier, and there was no way I would get out in the rain without any protection, so I waited and waited, but it was not letting up.

I was hoping some entrepreneur would seize this opportunity to make a little profit, and I was not disappointed. Soon there were two not one person starting selling poorly made umbrellas. I spent 15 RMB on one that could barely open properly!

I was hoping that it would at least last long enough for me to flag down a taxi. Given the short distance to my hotel, the prospect of finding a taxi driver who would be willing to take my business was quite slim. Thinking outside box, I grabbed the first tricycle cab in sight and jumped on.. Only then I found out the seat was wet, and so was my butt:-).. But at least I would not need to walk all the way back..

The end. Thank you for reading.

請在這閱讀我的更多的博客文章

- 再訪北京-第一次經曆798藝術區(圖)

- Then Let's Get The Snack - 兒子幽默語錄

- A Photo Journal Of The Little Global Trotters (II)(圖)

- 小小畫家畫廊(Part IV)

所有跟帖: 

這個是上個帖子裏提到的紅橋巿場和天壇行 -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/15/2012 postreply 07:20:44

新衣服不錯啊,穿上看看? -小黑貓- 給 小黑貓 發送悄悄話 小黑貓 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/15/2012 postreply 10:56:39

哈哈哈,去LT看啊。 -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/15/2012 postreply 11:21:59

哎呀,美女,天壇那塊中心石踩不得呀!我很後悔,09年那樣做了 -VCPP- 給 VCPP 發送悄悄話 VCPP 的博客首頁 (512 bytes) () 06/15/2012 postreply 18:40:45

倒沒有想過。幾乎人人都在上麵 -Gardenia_On_The_Bay- 給 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 發送悄悄話 Gardenia_On_The_Bay 的博客首頁 (46 bytes) () 06/15/2012 postreply 22:24:36

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”