Are people who support Donald Trump racist xenophobes? by Ben Sk

來源: mypresident 2017-11-30 19:45:36 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (21690 bytes)

作者:李京楠
鏈接:https://www.zhihu.com/question/52496216/answer/130837043
來源:知乎
著作權歸作者所有。商業轉載請聯係作者獲得授權,非商業轉載請注明出處。

Are people who support Donald Trump racist xenophobes? by Ben Skirvin 

quora.com/Are-people-wh

感謝大家的指正,希望更多人可以看到這篇文章。以下是我修改後的翻譯。

Preface, I did not vote for Trump. But, I want to point something out.
寫在前麵,我沒投川普。但是我想說明一些事情。

This photograph was taken by a friend of mine who works as a freelance photographer for a variety of national and international publications including Time Magazine.

It was published under a number of rather alarming headlines, including one fromquantz.com which described it as an “apocalyptic” image of the future if Trump won the election.

這張照片我一個朋友拍的,他是一名自由記者,給很多國際媒體撰稿,比如時代。這張照片被刊登在一係列醒目的頭條新聞中,比如一條是來自quantz.com,這篇報道把川普獲勝的情形描繪為末日景象(apocalyptic)。

This puzzled me.

這讓我感到很困惑。

The photo was taken at a campaign rally in Loveland, CO. It is a city of about 50,000 people. Of those, 92.85 percent are Caucasian. The median per capita income in Loveland, CO is about $21,000 per year.

這張照片拍攝於一次在 Loveland, CO 進行的競選集會。這是一座有50,000的城市,其中92.85%是高加索人(白人),人均年收入是21,000刀。

Up until 1985, a factory run by the Great Western Sugar Company provided most of the jobs. But, that closed and it’s only partially been replaced by a handful of smaller manufacturing plants.

直到1985年,一家叫做Great Western Sugar Company的公司的工廠提供了這裏大部分的工作崗位。但是在它關閉後,僅有數家小型的製造廠提供部分的工作崗位。

That’s all demographics and history, but that’s not what puzzled me.

但這些隻是人口統計資料和曆史,並不是困惑我的地方。

I grew up in the heart of the Rust Belt. My grandfather ran a small town electrical repair shop. My uncle worked in a munitions plant on a military base outside the microscopic town where he was raised. My cousin worked in a factory producing cabinets until he was laid off a few years ago for the third time in two years. Now he strings together part-time work, a convenience store during the day and bouncer at local bar at night.

我在Rust Belt的中心區長大,我祖父運營了一家小的電器修理鋪。我叔叔則在家鄉的小鎮外的軍工廠裏工作。我的堂兄弟在一家生產櫃子的工廠裏工作,但很快,他在2年內第三次失業了。現在他白天在便利店,晚上則在當地的酒吧裏當保鏢。

When I look at that picture, I don’t see racist. I don’t see bigots. I don’t see hillbillies or rednecks. I don’t see deplorables.

我看著這張照片,我看到的不是種族主義者,也不是頑固派,不是鄉巴佬和紅脖子,也不是DEPLORABLES(這個詞常用來羞辱川普支持者)。

I see a bunch of people pretty similar to my grandfather, uncle and cousin.

At this point in my life, I doubt I have many common opinions with those folks anymore.

But, most of them tried to be the best people they knew how to be.

我看到是一群跟我祖父,叔叔,堂兄弟很像的人。時至今日,我和他們的價值觀可能完全不一樣了。但是他們中的大部分人其實是在努力讓自己活的更好。

The problem was never that they were bad people.

其實他們從來都不是壞蛋。

The problem was that nobody knew how to talk to them in a way that related to their world. It was a failure of imagination. Worse, it was a failure of empathy.

其實隻是沒有人知道如何以他們的方式與他們進行交流。這不僅是想象力( imagination)的失敗,這更是同理心( empathy)的失敗

Think of it this way.

換個思路。

How do you convince a working class conservative guy from rural western Kentucky to support gay marriage?

你應該怎樣去說服一個來自western Kentucky農村的保守的工人去支持同性婚姻呢?

Well, first you imagine the world as he sees it. It’s marketing 101. Know your audience.

首先你得以他的視角來看世界。要從市場營銷入門這門課中的,了解你的聽眾這一節課開始。

This guy doesn’t have much in common with a college educated, middle class, social media marketing director from midtown Manhattan. That’s not a world that he lives in.

他和來自自曼哈頓的,上過大學的,中產階層的,在社會媒體行業的市場總監完全不是一路人。他根本就生活在不同的世界。

He doesn’t have much in common with a Gender Studies professor from Harvard.

他和哈佛的性別研究教授也不是一路人。

So, maybe those are not your best spokespeople.

所以這些人可能不具代表性。

Surely, there is one gay man somewhere in the South or Midwest working in manual labor. Ideally, he’s a former marine who grew up poor in a trailer park or on a farm. But, he worked hard, joined the military, fought for his country, came home and started a contracting business.

那就這樣,在南方或中西部的藍領裏肯定會有一位同性戀。理想條件下,他還是個在拖車停車場或者農場裏長大的退役海軍。他努力工作,然後參軍,為國而戰,返鄉後開始做生意。

It started out small, but now he’s proud to employ 5 hardworking Americans.

開始隻是小買賣,現在他很自豪他顧了5個勤勞的美國人。

And why does this hardworking American want to talk to you about gay marriage?

那麽這個勤奮的美國人為啥要跟你討論同性婚姻嗎?

Because he loves his husband?

因為他愛他丈夫嗎?

Because he wants to plead for fair treatment?

因為他想得到公正的對待嗎?

Because of equality, peace and understanding?

因為平等,和平,理解嗎?

Hell no.

扯淡。

He wants to talk to you about gay marriage because these ***** bureaucrats in Lexington are fucking with his tax bill and the lawyer fees on all this fucking government paper work is bleeding him dry. He wants to file a joint tax return on his business as a married man and these bastard politicians won’t let him, because they’re greedy sons of bitches.

他想談同性婚姻是因為萊克星頓的傻*官員在亂收稅,是因為政府文件的律師費在吸他的血。他想以已婚身份的人來開聯合稅務申報但那些混蛋官員不讓,因為這些官都是貪婪的**。

And this is the most important part.

這才是重點。

If they’re willing to cheat a hardworking veteran like that, what’s stopping these leeches from coming after you?

如果連勤奮的老兵他們都這樣欺負,這些吸血的水蛭遲早會找上你自己。

Wait.

省省吧。

You thought this was about equal rights?

你以為這是平權?

You thought this was about properly categorizing various gender identities into their neat little containers?

你以為這是讓各種的性別認知障礙的人用自己已有的身軀過上的體麵的生活?

You thought this was about love and hate and big bearded man in the sky hating gay people?

It never occurred to you that it’s really a tax and regulatory overreach issue.

你以為這是這是因為愛與恨,大胡子的中年男子歧視同性戀嗎?你從來沒想過這其實是稅收和管理過度的問題。

Some guy working two jobs making $10.50 an hour doesn’t have much time to think about the difference between gender queer and two souls. Nor does he have much interest in learning.

那些打著兩份工,每小時賺10.50刀的人才沒有時間去考慮性別酷兒(既非男也非女的性別認知)和雙魂人(two souls,LGBT的另一種稱呼,目前不太明白該怎麽翻譯)又什麽區別,他也沒興趣去了解。

But, by god, he’s right there with you when it comes to lawyers and bureaucrats being *****s and taxes being too damned high. He understands that.

但是,在麵對**的律師和官僚,在麵對奇高的收稅時,他和你是一樣的,這方麵他絕對是明白人。

And what about that working class guy?

這些工人怎麽了?

Where’d you lose him?

為什麽會這樣?

Go watch Harlan County, USA and ask yourself if all those union coal miners are dyed in the wool Republicans. That movie is set in 1976 and every last one of those hard-bitten bastards went to the polling booth and proudly voted union blue Democrat.

去看看《Harlan County, USA 》(一部挺老的紀錄片,得過奧斯卡,主要講述煤礦工人發起罷工),問問你自己那些煤礦工人到底是不是徹頭徹尾的共和黨。在這部1976年的電影這些硬氣的老骨頭就把票全都投給了藍黨。

Jimmy Carter won Kentucky that year by 7 percentage points.

Jimmy Carter以7個點的優勢贏了肯塔基。

Bernie Sanders understood that.

Bernie Sanders再清楚不過了。

He came to deepest red Indiana and he pummeled Clinton in a humiliating defeat. He also won Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

他跑到深紅的印第安納讓送給了克林頓一個大寫的勝利。他同時還贏了密西根,維斯肯斯和明尼蘇達。

His strategy in those states was simple and pure.

他在這些州的戰術簡單明了。

Find the nearest group of laid-off factory workers and promise to punish the bastards who closed their factory.

找到附近被下崗的工人讓後承諾他會懲罰那些關閉工廠的混蛋。

Because that’s what Democrats are suppose to do.

因為這才是民主黨該做的事。

In his heart of hearts, that high school educated factory worker knows with absolute certainty that management is a bunch of greedy bastards who’d lay off good people to save $.02 on the bottom line.

他深深地明白,即使有僅有高中學曆的工人,對那些為了0.02刀的利潤就能解雇工人的貪婪管理層的嘴臉,也是看的清清楚楚的。

Tap into that rage and turn it into something better.

理解這些憤怒,使之轉化為力量吧。

——————————————————————————————

或許正如知乎的分析,這次意外的大選結果的直接原因正是美國國內意識形態的撕裂。這道擋在美國民眾中間的鴻溝的一端是白左,另一端則是“默多”。一端營造著政治正確的白色恐怖,一端隻得醞釀著自己的憤怒。

而根本原因,則應該是美國的經濟政策使得貧富差距被無限的放大。幸運的是,即使美國的經濟政策已經將美國的民眾一分為二,燈塔國的根基卻依然履行著自己的使命,使得唐納德川普當上了總統。

這不是川普的勝利,這是“默多”的勝利。

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”