APAD: Curiosity killed the cat, but

來源: 2024-04-16 06:14:58 [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀:
"Curiosity killed the cat" is a proverb used to warn of the dangers of unnecessary investigation or experimentation. It also implies that being curious can sometimes lead to danger or misfortune. The original form of the proverb, now rarely used, was "Care killed the cat". In this instance, "care" was defined as "worry" or "sorrow for others".

The earliest printed reference to the original proverb appears in the 1598 play, Every Man in His Humour, written by the English playwright Ben Jonson.  Shakespeare used a similar quote in his circa 1599 play, Much Ado About Nothing

Its history goes on and on in Wikipedia ... ...

But here's the problem. “Curiosity killed the cat" is only part of the expression. The whole idiom goes like this: "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back."

That last part really changes the meaning. The cat gets to live. Curiosity does not kill it. So, we use the first half of the saying as a warning: Be careful of the dangers of unnecessary investigation or experimentation! But the second part -- "satisfaction brought it back" -- shows that the risk might be worth it.

Not many English speakers know that in the original idiom the cat survives. But now you do!

Source of the but part: https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/curiosity-killed-the-cat-/4567264.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I told Maowi the cat last night, "I'm going to write about a cat in danger tomorrow", he made an "ahh..." sound, but walked past without looking at me.  

I think he knows that it doesn't matter how curious he is, I'm always with him and would let myself be hurt before he gets hurt when/if there is a danger.  And, for whatever we find together, the risk might be worth it.  鬼臉

Maowi, did U find any trick inside?