Here is an interesting article to read "Healthy vs. Healthful"

來源: 偶然參與 2012-02-05 20:55:57 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2427 bytes)
回答: 從童書、工具書與語料庫學英文走馬讀人2012-02-04 15:30:59

Healthy vs. Healthful

A few months ago, a reader wrote to commend me for what she called my correct use of the term "healthful." Yet just last week, a different reader suggested that my use of that word where others would simply write "healthy" was trendy and, frankly, a bit much.

I'm always up for a healthy -- or is it healthful? -- debate. But this time I feel I must take sides: the first reader was right.

My understanding has been that the word "healthful" means "contributing to the state of good health," whereas "healthy" means "enjoying the state of good health." Hence: "Eating healthful foods can help make a person healthy."

My trusty Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (10th edition) supports my stance: It defines "healthful" as "beneficial to health of body or mind" and "healthy" as "enjoying health and vigor of body, mind, or spirit."

And so does Post copyeditor Thomas Graham, who has steered me through many a grammatical thicket in my career. Tom assures me that my use of the words is "not trendy; it's accurate," adding that it's "not always followed as rigorously in the Post as it might."

Why is this so important to me? Because in reporting -- perhaps particularly health reporting -- getting things right matters. If I'm not willing to sweat what some might deem the small stuff, how can readers trust that I'm sufficiently sweating the big stuff?

Your turn. Is using the word "healthful" pretentious? Do these things matter much?

By Jennifer LaRue Huget  |  January 23, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Life's Big Questions

所有跟帖: 

Thx! it needs " to hearken by heart" -走馬讀人- 給 走馬讀人 發送悄悄話 走馬讀人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2012 postreply 05:13:05

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”