【煙台 芝罘 教區 傳教士活動】

來源: 偃月劃戟 2020-07-29 18:12:59 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (9087 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 偃月劃戟 ] 在 2020-07-29 18:19:31 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

History

Catholic faith was first brought to Yantai by a Chinese priest in 1858. In 1862, missioners were sent to Yantai upon the request of British consulate for pastoral care of local expatriates from Europe. In 1886, the first Catholic Church was built in Yantai and it became the centre of local Catholic activities.

In 1894, Vicariate Apostolic of Eastern Shantung was established and Bishop C?sar-Jean Schang was the first Vicar Apostolic. The vicariate apostolic was renamed as Vicariate Apostolic of Zhifou in 1924.

In 1938, Canadian Franciscan Father Louis-Prosper Durand was appointed the vicar apostolic.Two years later, he was arrested by Japanese during the World War II and sent to the concentration camp. After he was released in 1945, he left China and the vicariate apostolic was managed by a French priest.

In 1946, Vicariate Apostolic of Zhifou was elevated to Diocese of Yantai. Just one year before the establishment of People's Republic of China, Franciscan Father Alphonsus Zong Huaimo was secretly appointed by the Holy See and ordained in Beijing.

Meanwhile, Chinese priests were entrusted to manage the diocese by foreign missioners who were forced to leave China in 1952. The cathedral was removed several times from 1955 to 1960. In 1960, Father Zhang Yuejin was elected as the first Chinese local bishop of Yantai. During the Cultural Revolution (1966-1977), all religions activities were suspended and churches' premises were seriously destroyed and fired.

After religious activities revived in the late 1970s, the Church was split into open and underground communities. Bishop Gao Kexian was secretly ordained in 1990. But much of his life thereafter was spent in detention until his death in 2005.

In 2004, the open Church authorities combined Yantai and Weihai dioceses into Yantai diocese while the underground community follows the jurisdiction of the Holy See. 

https://www.ucanews.com/directory/dioceses/china-yantai/243

The school had been founded in 1881 during colonial times as a school for children of missionaries and other English-speaking foreigners in China. During a span of more than 60 years it provided quality university entrance to the best schools in Britain and America. Given my upbringing in a religious tradition that valued missionary activity, I had enjoyed stories of adventurous people such as Dr. James Hudson Taylor (1832-1905) who felt “called by God” to share the teachings of Christianity with people in distant lands. As founder and leader of a major Christian missionary organization, Taylor was rather unique and creative, breaking with many traditions of his time. While clearly enjoying privileges as a foreigner in China during colonial times, he was certainly not in agreement with all the policies of his own British government. I arrived in Yantai with keen interest in learning more about the famous Chefoo School founded by Taylor and his China Inland Mission.

Meanwhile the Li family in Yantai had also been following this history. Li Xin sent me the cover image of a recent publication, a Chinese translation of a book about Chefoo School written by a former teacher, Gordon Martin. I was asked if I knew of it, and soon we had ideas of exploring this bit of East/West history together.

所有跟帖: 

【Presbyterians and the Boxer Year in North China】 -偃月劃戟- 給 偃月劃戟 發送悄悄話 偃月劃戟 的博客首頁 (15939 bytes) () 07/29/2020 postreply 18:35:33

【顏福慶家族】 -偃月劃戟- 給 偃月劃戟 發送悄悄話 偃月劃戟 的博客首頁 (545 bytes) () 07/31/2020 postreply 16:00:55

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]