Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over LG Fridge Compressors

來源: 惟恐天下不亂 2020-07-14 14:08:22 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4681 bytes)

A class action lawsuit has been filed against LG Electronics alleging a defect is causing some of its fridges to stop cooling.

The refrigerators at issue contain linear compressors, which were supposedly meant to make the fridges more reliable and durable. For many consumers, however, the refrigerators have stopped working within 36 months of use in what one news outlet calls a “pandemic of dying fridges.”

If you own one of these fridges and had issues with it not cooling, attorneys working with ClassAction.org would like to hear from you. Tell us what happened to you by filling out the form on this page.

Compressor Issues Stem from Defect, Lawsuit Says

The lawsuit says that the cooling problem stems from a defect that’s causing the linear compressor – the part that’s responsible for cooling the refrigerator – to fail. When this happens, the fridge will start to warm and food will begin to spoil. Some consumers who had this problem have reportedly been forced to “live out of coolers” or prematurely replace their fridges.  

According to the lawsuit, the problem starts in the tubing of the evaporator, a part that works in conjunction with the linear compressor. The suit says that the tubing is “prone to corrosion and pitting” and that small holes can develop, which can cause leaks and allow air to enter. Because of this “air leakage,” the refrigerant that moves from the evaporator to the condenser generates excess pressure that puts stress on the compressor, according to the suit.

The compressor can’t take this additional pressure, the suit says, and begins to fail. It is usually the discharge valve in the compressor that is the first to go, as it is the weakest component.

Even if the fridges are serviced, they will likely fail again within two years because LG technicians are allegedly using the same defective parts in repairs. So, even though their refrigerators were “fixed,” several of the plaintiffs later noticed that food was again going bad and that their fridges weren’t keeping cool.

How a Class Action Can Help

A class action lawsuit could help consumers get money back for repairs performed on their fridges and any food they lost because of the compressor issue. Further, a lawsuit could force LG to come up with a fix for the problem.

Consumer Complaints: Fridges Not Cooling, Stopped Working

The class action lawsuit against LG features several of the “thousands of complaints” about the refrigerators failing. A sample of these complaints can be seen below [sic throughout]:

Model LFX28978SB - For the 2nd time in the last 4 months, I have thrown away all of the food in our LG refrigerator/freezer. This refrigerator had the compressor replaced 4 months ago and then again, one month later.”

Terrible product. Compressor not functioning after only 18 months. Calling the service line is a joke. 40 minutes on the phone…. After all was said and done, it will cost me $348 for a service call which can only be done by their service techs. Absolutely pitiful product, Model LMXC23746S/00. I built homes for 40 years and never had to deal with a malfunctioning appliance this quickly.”

The compressor was replaced 5 days ago on Friday 1/4/2019. Five days later I am without a refrigerator and freezer again and have lost $200 -$250 in groceries. I have photos of the water leaking out of the ice maker on the door as well.”

I bought my French door LG refrigerator in Jan 2018. Now - in March 2018 it is no longer cooling. I bought the extended warranty through Lowe’s. They sent a tech to assess the problem. Compressor needs replacing. After only 14 months of use!”

Wasn’t There Already a Lawsuit Over LG Refrigerators?

Yes; however, that class action ended in a settlement that only covered fridges purchased before January 29, 2014. Even with the settlement, LG has allegedly continued to sell the same defective fridges despite knowing about the issue with the compressors. That’s the reason for the new lawsuit – to help get compensation for those who purchased their fridges after January 2014.

If you had cooling problems with an LG refrigerator, attorneys working with ClassAction.org want to hear about it. Fill out the form on this page to learn more about the lawsuit and how it affects you.

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]